Confused by tfp recommended Total alkalinity levels

Sdmhome

Mar 17, 2023
Austin, texas
First post. Using tfp to maintain a 25k in ground, chorine pool. Confused. TFP recommend Total alkalinity at 50-80 in their calculator, but most other things I have read say 80-120 including the test sticks.

Can someone help me (from tfp?) and lmk what’s best? Thank you

Reactions: mgtfp
Like Marty said, they assume the acidic pressure of tablets.

Without that pressure, at higher levels of TA, you will get a natural pH rise. When you manage your pH, by keeping in in the 7s, your TA will naturally come down.

Reactions: mgtfp
Awesome links! I will digest and try to figure this out. Thank you both very much for your quick responses. My TA is currently 79 (ph is ok at 7.4h) so that looks high for tfp but low for the others. But if ph staying reasonable, I guess that level TA is ok. I am in texas and we are about to hit the hot summer months so I want to avoid algae growth. Thanks again.

Awesome links! I will digest and try to figure this out. Thank you both very much for your quick responses. My TA is currently 79 (ph is ok at 7.4h) so that looks high for tfp but low for the others. But if ph staying reasonable, I guess that level TA is ok. I am in texas and we are about to hit the hot summer months so I want to avoid algae growth. Thanks again.
Best advice is to manage your pH and keep it in the 7s. It may like 7.8 or even 8.0 with TA of 79. Leave TA alone and just manage pH

If you really want to avoid algae growth, get a good test kit as @mknauss indicated in his test kits compared link...

Don’t trust a pool store test if that is who gave you the 79 result.

Reactions: PoolStored
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.