Conflicting Pool math on pH

I don’t normally have to mess with either number, although I have tweaked my ph when it has gone too low (added soda ash) and when it has gone too high (added muriatic acid). If TA stays around 70-80 in my pool, I can go for weeks without a discernible difference in ph.

Reactions: Wenglehaupt
Welcome! :wave:

The problem is micromanagement. That's the same thing the pool stores do. It gets you to constantly add chemicals. They need to keep you on the merry go round with chemical levels going up and down and you going round and round but never actually getting anywhere but back where you started, because that sells chemicals.

A tip: if your numbers are in acceptable range (TA used to say 50-90+) don't mess with them just to be "ideal." Ideal is a target for when you do need to make adjustments. So if pH acceptable is 7.2-8.0 and ideal is 7.6-7.8 and you're at 7.4, do nothing. If you're at 8.2, then you may as well target the ideal instead of just plain acceptable if you're going to the trouble of measuring chemicals.

Reactions: mguzzy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.