Conflicting Info - Replacing Pool Sand

May 7, 2018
Greensboro, NC
Hi all,

I need some help and/or advice.

Last year, I put up a Summer Waves 14’ x 42” pool in my back yard (set up as a summer pool) and took it down at the end of September. I’m a little over six weeks away from putting it up again and have some questions.

At the advise of many, I upgraded the pool filter skimmer with that of an Intex Sand filter - and it kept the water crystal clear all season long.

My question comes with the pool sand. I’ve read conflicting information. One - it’s good for three years or so (but this is for continual run pools, it seems??) or two) to replace it every season.

As I am getting everything ready for this season (April 15th!!!), I am needing advice on what to do. Replace it or keep it (the sand)?

I did all the work when I closed it down - backwashed, drained and let drain out for three days - then capped it and put it in my garage - where it has been since October.

I welcome any and all feedback.

Thank you.

Although our pool is up year round, I would think it would be the same.
I have read into this before and also found conflicting info. Some Scientifically convincing and beyond me.
My consensus from advice by other long time members here is that the sand should last for many, many years,if not forever if everything has been maintained. just do I a complete cleaning ( deep clean) of the sand while its in the tank before running everything. there are a couple YouTube videos on hot to do this. I am on the same sand after going on 7 years. At some point I may have to add a little due to loss while removing for the winter.
April 15th Huh?, I will be lucky if the snow is even gone by then.
Actually here is a link from this site
Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Last edited:
@0REDSOX7, congrats on finding and using TFP!
We leave our vinyl pool up over the winter (bring the pump & sand filter inside) to save the hassle of lost parts and stressed seams. This is our 2nd winter/3rd summer (same pool) Yes it turns into a 2500gal ice block ;)
pool_2snow.jpg
As for the sand, it would only have to be replaced if you used a flocculant that was not "filter safe" (it would turn your sand into "concrete"), as long as you maintain your water chemistry and FC levels, the sand will be good "forever".
The pool industry recommendation to replace the sand (2yrs/3yrs/yearly even) is based on "bad advice" to use flocculants and/or clarifiers, which do "ruin" the sand.

Reactions: 0REDSOX7
I just replaced my 20 year old sand. New sand has made a huge difference to how the filter performs. After 20 years though, that might just be differences/improvements in the actual sand itself.

I just replaced my 20 year old sand. New sand has made a huge difference to how the filter performs. After 20 years though, that might just be differences/improvements in the actual sand itself.
What sort of chemicals, treatments, dyes (etc) have been used in the pool? ;)

What sort of chemicals, treatments, dyes (etc) have been used in the pool? ;)

Calcium hypochlorite, sodium bicarbonate, salt, phosphate remover, hydrochloric and sulphuric acids. I never used any magic potions. I did have it rented out for 6 years so the tenants might have put something in there, but that was 10 years ago now and nothing was ever apparent when I popped the filter open to wash the sand.

The sand felt fine when it came out, just didn't bite my arm as hard as the new stuff does when I pushed through the sand and it didn't hold as much dirt as the new stuff appears to. With the new sand it filters longer between backwashes and backwashes take a lot more water/time.

Sand doesnt wear out, .get used up or go bad and will lastindefinitely if your water quality is maintained within reasonalbe levels and you don't abuse your filter with flock or other magic potions normally recommnded by pool stores.

However, my opinin differs from the general consensus of this forum on deep cleaning your filter if it doesnt hold much sand. Sand is inexpensive enough that i would just exchange it instead of messing around with a deep cleaning project for the cost of a bag or two of sand

Reactions: splashpad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you all!

I watched the videos posted above and that helps.

I have to take my pool down each year, per HOA rules, but, got pretty good at keeping everything in check last year.

I was just curious what to do with the sand - but, now I know!

One a different tangent. Since you have to take your pool down every year, I'd switch to a fairly large cartridge filter. Then you wouldn't have to unload and reload the sand every year. Just clean the cartridge and take it inside.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.