Wichita Falls, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have had a pool for 10 years and have been on an off the site. I never had good luck with my SWG because I was too cheap to run my pump the time it needed. So I switched to chlorine pucks and of course my CYA skyrocketed. Approx 1 week ago I drained 80% and refilled and did a slam to clear up any winter issues. I put a variable speed pump in so now I can get the runtime I need for the SWG without worry of the power cost and replaced my aquapure 1400.

Current numbers with plan of action
CYA 40 ...... raise to 70
FC 7.5
TA 80......do nothing
CH 200........ bring up to 300 or so since I have a gunite pool
PH 8.0........needs to come down added a lot of 20 oz (31% acid) or so because it was high this morning. Still high tonight 8 hours later.

Anything else I need or have over looked.

Plan to bring up the CH and CYA over the next couple of weeks. I an in no hurry due to the cooler temps and not getting hot yet.

Alf,

The next thing you need to do is determine the pump speed that just turns on the SWCG's flow switch.. Then add about 100 or 200 RPM and call that the slowest speed you ever want to run.. There is no sense running the pump if you are not making chlorine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Alf,

The next thing you need to do is determine the pump speed that just turns on the SWCG's flow switch.. Then add about 100 or 200 RPM and call that the slowest speed you ever want to run.. There is no sense running the pump if you are not making chlorine.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I am about 90 minutes north of you in Wichita Falls. What CYA level do you shoot for. You seem to be a salt expert. No use of reinventing the wheel if you have knowledge

Alf,

I try to run about 70.. anything between 60 and 80 will work.. If you find that your pool is using more FC than you thing it should, then the first thing to do is check your CYA level.

Your Cell will produce about 10 ppm of FC per day (24 hours) when run at 100% output.. That is .42 ppm per hour at 100%

I'd start running at 50% which generates .21 ppm per hour.. This mean that if your pool uses 3 ppm of FC per day, you will have to run the pump for about 14 hours.

It is much, much easier to start high and then reduce the run time and/or the output percentage to get your FC where you want it.. If you start too low, it will be hard to catch up.

One thing that works well for me is to try to always keep my FC at my "target" or higher, rather then try to keep my FC between my target and my minimum.. I treat the minimum as a cliff I never want to fall off. There is no downside to running your FC a little hot, but a huge downside to running it a little tool low.. See the saltwater section of this chart.. FC/CYA Levels

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.