Conduit size

debuda

Bronze Supporter
May 16, 2019
Los Angeles
Hi,

I've been reading up on the recommendations from many here (especially on the great post about what you would do differently when building your pool). I decided to add some conduit to the open trenches for outlets and lighting. I bought some 3/4 inch conduit but noticed electrician used 1 inch.
I have about 70 feet max run with 3 90 deg turns. Do you think it would be too difficult to pull wire through?

Yes, it will be VERY hard to pull wire through a 3/4" conduit. My advice is to decide what you want that conduit for and put the lines in now, even if you are not ready to use it.

with 3/4 pipe and 3 90 bends it will be hard to pull wire.
The most your going to pull will be 1or 2 circuits, which will be 2 or 3 #12's
is it pvc , aluminum, ridged, or reg emc conduit ?
I would use pvc if it were me.

We just pulled new service wire (#3) from a generator to the gen. panel.
app 30-40 feet, 1" pvc and it was a killer
Pipie had been in the ground for 10 years

with 3/4 pipe and 3 90 bends it will be hard to pull wire.
The most your going to pull will be 1or 2 circuits, which will be 2 or 3 #12's
is it pvc , aluminum, ridged, or reg emc conduit ?
I would use pvc if it were me.

We just pulled new service wire (#3) from a generator to the gen. panel.
app 30-40 feet, 1" pvc and it was a killer
Pipie had been in the ground for 10 years

Its PVC.

Thanks for the reply. Definitely going up to 1 inch.

As others have said, think about what you'll be using them for, and then size appropriately. I like to look at the fill charts and then use less than half the maximum. I'm too cheap/lazy to replace all 130' of 1/2" conduit going to my pool area, and am currently pulling 10-3 through it. It's a nightmare, and I don't recommend it. Based on the fill chart I could add another 10awg wire, but there's no way that would pull through anything more than a few feet.

It is much easier to pull than to push. If you can get a line (maybe using a fish tape) through, then use that line to pull the wire it would be easier.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I don't imagine I would use these lines for anything more than simple lighting and outlets. So at most I think I'll be pulling 12-3 through. I'm not planning on doing anything with it yet though. Will definitely use fish tape when I do though!

Pulling 10-3 through 1/2 inch must be really hard!

Arizonarob mentioned that it might not be up to code. Any one else have any thoughts on that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
just noted that you said you may be pulling 12-3 through the pvc conduit. it is doable, however more difficult than pulling 3 individual stranded thhn wires, the romex is solid wire and harder to move through the sweeps. others may chime in and state that romex in conduit is against code (it works though if no inspection). i would add possibly 2 empty 3/4 inch runs of pcv, it is possibly cheaper than a single 1 inch run. that way you have future use conduit, much easier to do now while the trench is open. just my 2 cents.
enjoy the finished product!

Thanks for all the feedback.

I don't imagine I would use these lines for anything more than simple lighting and outlets. So at most I think I'll be pulling 12-3 through.

Arizonarob mentioned that it might not be up to code. Any one else have any thoughts on that?

I'm assuming future wires would be for outdoor use requiring GFCI protection? If so, I would avoid using 12-3 wired for multiple circuits sharing a neutral. It can be done, but it's a hassle to do it right and meet code, and will be much more prone to "nuisance" trips. Much better and easier to just run a full set of wires for each circuit, so plan accordingly.

Not sure where the comment about 1" for 120v to meet code came from. Code for conduit sizing has nothing to do with voltage, only the number and size of wires each size/type conduit can carry. And trust me, code allows way larger/more wires inside a given conduit size/type than you'd ever want to consider for practical reasons.

just noted that you said you may be pulling 12-3 through the pvc conduit. it is doable, however more difficult than pulling 3 individual stranded thhn wires, the romex is solid wire and harder to move through the sweeps. others may chime in and state that romex in conduit is against code (it works though if no inspection).

Yes, stranded is much easier to pull. And Romex inside conduit is up to code as long as you don't remove the sheathing. Where people get in trouble is removing the sheathing to make it easier to pull.

Reactions: chemillion
And remember any gfci circuits in conduit makes the rest of the circuits sharing the conduit have yo be gfci also. Cant mix nuetrals/grounds so might be better to upsize if that's the plan down the road. You can pull stranded pretty easy with a decent fish tape and pulling lube

Thanks for everyone's replies here and sorry for the late post. I ended up just using what I had and ran two 3/4 inch lines.
Orginally was going to run 1 line on opposite ends of pool but decided to keep them on the same side because that's where the larger side of the deck is and where we will be congregating.

The pool lights are all separate runs so I dont have to worry about that.

Will install THHN instead of romex...thank you for the advice!

Still not 100% about what I will use it for but happy it's there!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.