Conduit for iQPUMP01 wire?

Apr 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I recently had an iQPUMP01 controller installed. They didn't mount it (at my request), because I wanted it in an enclosure, and that wasn't on the menu. Nor did they encase the wire in conduit or anything.

Is it essential to have the wire in conduit? The pump is only a few feet from where the controller/enclosure will be mounted on the house, and the wire will be perhaps 7 or 8 feet long in actual use.

If conduit is required, is there any decent kind I could add after the fact, without having to disassemble the wire from where it plugs into the pump (i.e. to feed into the conduit)?

I doubt it is required the wire must be in a conduit. It is a communication wire, not an electrical feed.

Let's see if some other members with electrical expertise will chime in.

Thanks for the reply. I was only considering the conduit to protect the wire, not for any other reason. Maybe I should have referred to it as a "protective sleeve". Since it will be running on the ground where people will be stepping relatively frequently, I'm concerned about it getting damaged.

I'm not sure what the implications of this are, but the pump manual states "NEC code requirements prohibit the routing of signal cables in conduits or raceways that are used for branch, feeder, or service conductors."

Just means do not run this communication cable in the same conduit as live electrical.

If on the ground in a walking area, I would use metal conduit. Something to protect it.

Refer to the code for your area.. Where they intending on running the wire across the ground? is it direct burial? If you decide to put it in a conduit use Sch40 or 80 PVC (gray) depending on what kind of traffic it will be getting. That way you can bury the pipe and it will be water proof and easier to replace when the time comes. I wouldn't use metal if you are going to bury it or near the pool it will rust.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.