Concrete vs Panels

whixkid41

Gold Supporter
May 26, 2018
Long Island, NY
Hi All,

After months of planning, getting quotes, I am ready to start writing checks. The landscaping company has ideas on using boulders as coping around 1/4 of the pool plus adding a waterfall, slide, etc. Basically lots of stuff along the pools edge. The question I have - does the pool build material matter?

I have 2 pool companies in mind. 1 does vinyl over poured concrete with rebar, the other does the panels (Fiberglass?) that are filled with concrete. Should I choose 1 over the other? The concrete over vinyl seems to make the most sense since its build like a house foundation. The issue I have is the company pouring concrete, their estimate is 4-5K higher due to the spill over SPA. In fairness, I haven't tried negotiating yet but I figured my best chance at negotiating is if I am willing to write a check right at that very moment.

Any advice?

their estimate is 4-5K higher due to the spill over SPA

Is the spa made out of concrete or your typical fiberglass/plastic type of composite. This does see a little high for a spa. Although, I have to tell you that a poured concrete wall is better construction. I picked the galvanized steel and looking back, concrete would have been better. Only reason why I went with the other PB was 2" plumbing, more returns, etc. which helps a lot.

I believe the vinyl liner is more industry standard.

However on the rocks and boulders you need to have a very very good base of compacted gravel with a solid foundation to place the rock work on.

On concrete pools rocks and boulders can be placed on the bond beam or ledges where people install coping of pools if properly supported. I have one large rock on my coping and
another large boulder as a diving rock behind my coping, but placed on a 3 foot bed of compacted gravel.

And if you will have water features just note that not all rocks are created equal. Some are harder materials and others will break down over time or leach materials into the pool. There are other discussions about people with rock problems in and around their pools.

Rocks if done right can be beautiful and functional but must be supported with a vinyl or fiberglass pool.

We went with concrete and liner. It’s built using special forms. Design choices and size are fully custom. Very happy with the decision. Plaster on Long Island is very expensive. We have a raised wall water feature which sits right on top of the concrete wall.

2f9e7a268c64bffe0836e04c98b650e9.jpg
55e410d92467c436e531f9fef0713d38.jpg

Thank you everyone for the replies & the pics!. After consulting here and with other folks who had pools installed, I went with the concrete with a vinyl liner. The concrete is loaded with rebar so its built like the foundation of a home. Plus the SPA they offer is top of the line - 24 jets plus a separate pump. Given the landscapers plans with boulder coping, this seemed the best option. Looks like a September install - have to wait on the permits and variance. In the meantime, I can start picking out automation equipment and a heater.

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.