~Concrete Staining - Experience With Water Based/Gel?

Meowloud

Bronze Supporter
Mar 3, 2017
Chattanooga, tn
First off, excuse me if I should have included this in my build thread but this isn't something that will happen for sure and also didn't want to bury it from someone that might not read build treads. Feel free to merge if I messed up!

OK. We're only having regular, brushed concrete poured but I was toying around with the idea of having a project after it cures (at least 45 days). I've worked with acid, acetone, and water based stains but I've never 'detail stenciled' before. Aside from the concrete finishing needing to be smoother (slickness around pool will be remedied with a grip sealer), has anyone stenciled a design in concrete before? I found a water-based, water submersible stain and has anyone used this Smith's brand before? Smith's Decorative Concrete Products - Color Floor This Smith's brand has a thickening gel.... BUT you can't use a penetrating sealer with it!

I would like to do something very subdued, pompeii painting/old world like transparent border and carpet rug at entrance such as Modello designs stencils: http://paintandpattern.com/modello-concrete-carpets/
Thinking of only using semi-transparent blues, greys, green and maybe a touch of mauve. I like the idea of this design, but much more light, transparent and old concrete look. EXAMPLE:
Modello-stencil-blporch-11.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.