Concrete pool up north

Butterfly I would be indulgent( looked that word up :cool: ) towards slammin arteries if I would be lucky enough to meet you or Dave or any other loving soul in person from this forum. Actually the way Dave painted up that diet tempted my taste buds a little bit, I can't deny that :-D :-D :-D

A short message to keep you all in the loop hahaha!
I have started to retile the walls. After todays work will there be approx 190ft2 of tileplates on the walls(if everything goes well).
This year have I give priority to mount the plates within the shortest time possible and closed my eyes to groutlines that's not match perfectly. This beacuse I'm so worried that the plates will loose again, key word is functionallity. When I think back I coulden't see if groutlines were perfect or not once the pool was filled anyways.

Epoxy consumption is on the higher end.... 22lbs of Kerapoxy to 28,4ft2 of plates. I don't mind that significant extra cost as long as the plates sticks and sit there for eternity:)
I've made a test and loosen the last plate I've mounted from a bucket of Kerapoxy and that plate was 100% covered and was hard to get of the wall so it feels good. I first apply the Kerapoxy with a straight throwel to make sure it really goes into the wall and after that with a regular throwel. From my very limited and humble understanding and experience of how a epoxy thinset work, WILL this do the work. I keep my fingers crossed that it will beacuse I'm not planning to do it a third time.
I will take a few pics tonight until then have the best of days.... and I'm glad to be back on this forum again especially now when brother Spillmar and his thread is chasing us when it comes to views:)
I really have to get out there and get something done but I will be back tonight.
//Mats

Ohm boy I really hope that you're right :-D
It feels good so far! I can say that I'm careful to mount the plates while the epoxy is still wet and turn them in place probably with a slight exaggerated manner :-D.
I doubt that there are much else you can do to make sure a good bond to the surface. The fact that I use much more epoxy than what's are estimated from the manufacturer should contribute to a good result.

I like this tiles beacuse they are 20% bigger, only problem is that the're not consistent in there meassurements and that surprised me beacuse this is a first-choice pool plate from a well known German company. But it's all good i'm not as eager to get a perfect visible result this time.

I must praise myself once again :-D I knew that the pool is very carefully built but I'm glad every time I meassure it. It's like 1-3 mm out of meassure diagonally also are each and every corner hundred percent straight and the height of the walls does not different more than a few mm either. I have to focus on things that I'm satified with now when I have to spend so much time with overdo something that should be OK in the first place.

This is how it looked last night!! Talk to you soon....[attachment=2:1nd3qpbf]new tilesIMG_5625.gif[/attachment:1nd3qpbf][attachment=1:1nd3qpbf]new tilesIMG_5638.gif[/attachment:1nd3qpbf][attachment=0:1nd3qpbf]new tilesIMG_5639.gif[/attachment:1nd3qpbf]

Attachments

• new tilesIMG_5625.gif
    new tilesIMG_5625.gif
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,003
  • new tilesIMG_5625.gif
    new tilesIMG_5625.gif
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,002
  • new tilesIMG_5638.gif
    new tilesIMG_5638.gif
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,004
  • new tilesIMG_5638.gif
    new tilesIMG_5638.gif
    143.5 KB · Views: 1,005
  • new tilesIMG_5639.gif
    new tilesIMG_5639.gif
    146.5 KB · Views: 1,000
  • new tilesIMG_5639.gif
    new tilesIMG_5639.gif
    146.5 KB · Views: 1,001
Wow... I just caught up to this post the last 2 days and read the entire thing (its a little slow at work). I have to say this pool and everything else is amazing. you are doing a wonderful job. I wish you and your family the best of luck and hope this time around you can enjoy the pool for many years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for asking beaumatt and all you others that still are interested what I'm doing over here.
I'm excited to show you what we have accomplished last couple of months. We're almost there now and the plans is to remove the roof over the pool next week so I can get access to the ledge, last part of the pool left to tile. Then it's only the expansion joints left, wich I can't for the best of my knowledge understand why they are necessary... but since some people that I have talked to think they are, I will put them in there.
Pictures and a more in depth update is coming along :) as soon as the roof is off.

//Mats

OK - now I have sat here and read all 38 pages of this thread. Mats, that is one amazing build and I am so sorry to hear about the tile problems. I could go on and on about the level of detil, craftsmanship, and committment but others have already said so much.

Mats, you remind me a lot of my grandfather. He was a marine machinist. He would start a project, and spend two weeks building custom jigs for all of the cutting and machining he wanted to do. The jigs he built looked better than half the finished projects I do now.

And now, in the department of slightly late information, I have been following this website http://floorelf.com/ for quite some time and using it for tiling information (I am in the middle of my first full Ditra and Kerdi underlayment bathroom at this point)

He has a lot of information on epoxy grout on his site.

-dave

Hi Mats, :wave:

Well the first thing I have to say is WOW! :shock:

Next, after sitting here for the last 5+ hours now totally glued to the monitor reading thru this entire thread, I can firmly say: You officially have a new Fan!

I have always considered myself to be multi-talented, with a very broad skill set, and take pride in knowing when I have done something it is done "RIGHT", if not with overkill, but man you make my skills and abilities look like I don't know anything!

I applaud your skill, abilities, strong will, and determination, what you have done is just jaw dropping, and Awe Inspiring.

OK I am finally out of ways to pay compliment to you, your wife, and your children for everything you have done, and been thru in the past 4 years.

You are a ROCK! :super: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Best Regards

Hi Mats

Sounds like you've had a major project on the go! I've only just come across this blog today, whilst searching for some other info.
I'm interested as to your choice of kerapoxy for the tiling. Here in Mallorca (Spain) we use many Mapei or Keracoll products, and for pools our choice is Keracoll H40 Tenax with Scuba grouting. It's an incredible adhesive and not half as tricky/expensive as a pure expoxy product to work with. As regards adherence, we almost exclusively use glass and don't have any issues. Did the reps sell you on kerapoxy? The only places I've seen that used here is on floor grouting in hospitals/commercial applications.
I really, really hope you have no issues again with the tiling, but if you do, dump the pure epoxy and go for H40 tenax, it'll make life easier!
It's boiling hot here in Mallorca, :grrrr: I guess I better get on with our pool!!!

Like so many before me I ran into this thread blind and started reading on page 1 thinking I would skip ahead and catch up. But like a sticky trap for a rat - the thread captured me. I read the whole thing today in between other tasks.

My heart hurt for Mats when I got to page 35. I hope someday soon we hear from him and see the refinished pool.

Mats... I want to point out something you said:

Henry Porter said:
EDIT: I see that the quality of my photos leaves a lot more to desire, I'm out for buying a new one just need some cash to flow in the household, so in 2012 or somewhere around there would be to expect :shock: I wonder if concrete pool up north still will be a active by then...... I really hope not :wink:

It is 2012, and while the reason for the thread to still be active may seem like it's the problems you had - it's not. You may not understand why this thread is so popular - so let me try to express it. Your personality, perserverence, tenacity, and humour all contribute to the interest we have for your situation. PLEASE come back again and give us an update so we can sleep again at night! :sleep:

As many others have said, feel free to contact me if you are ever near my neck of the woods. Come to NC and have a beer, some pork bbq, steaks, veggies, whatever you and your family would enjoy. Dave is only 3 hours or so from me - we can find a way to get a bunch of TFP'ers together if you ever make it to the states - I suspect you won't be paying for any hotels because of offers to stay in TFP'ers houses! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.