Concrete pool up north

waste said:
Matts, great to see you again!

I hope you know that, while I might not adopt you, you are ever welcome to stay with Louisa and me, anytime you want and for as long as you want :) (you might even be able to teach a couple of my coworkers a few things about building a pool PROPERLY :hammer: )

As always, thanks for the updates and pics :goodjob:

Take care, my friend!

Dear Ted!
That is a real honor :wave: but I'm afraid that I will be so out of economy by the time all this is done, so I won't get anywhere in a long, long time :hammer: But if I could! USA is high on our list over countries we wanna visit.

I often think of how things turned out for you on your new location. I hope everything worked out for it's best, I'm pretty sure it did and that makes me happy :)
I wish you were here in Sweden instead Ted! If you were I would asked if you could help me with applying the epoxy grout on my tile! I'm so tired that I can't get anyone takin on that job so I'm about to try it out myself. I will call a few more companies tomorrow morning but if none of them are willing to help me, will I have to do it myself! If it comes down to that have I decided to tile a surface on a board to get some practise and see how the epoxy grout acts and how fast it hardens. That is my biggest grip at the moment that I don't know how fast it cures and what the best way to remove the epoxy from the tiles once I have applied it. I heard from someone that they spray the plates with a soap solution before grouting to prevent that it stuck on the plates so fast. But that is pretty much all I have come up with so far. So if anyone with experience in the field..... I very much appreciate all the help I can get!
The problem with tile up a board to practise on is that the grout comes in separate containers that shall be mixed with a certain amount of liquid which comes toghether with the powder. It is a pretty big container that I will ruin just to practise and I don't have to much extra. If I can't use a scale and weigh up some of the powder, that could be a solution. But the best would be If I could get someone with experience to do it for me.

Once again Ted! Thanks for your warm words, you're one of a kind mate :cheers:

Best regards
Mats

I am NOT a tile expert, but a guy I work with used to do home bathrooms for a local builder using epoxy grout. He said the key is to use a vinegar and water mix to remove the excess grout. He also pointed me to this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0BBGSPbuPw

Of course we have no idea if this applies to the epoxy grout products available to you, or if what we call white vinegar means the to you (look for distilled white vinegar). And I'm not sure if you know what is meant by the pad to clean off spots mentioned (but not shown) near the end of the video - here they are typical something like the scotch-brite plastic scouring pad.

If these name brands are not available, hopefully they will help lead you to similar products available to you.

A big thanks to you lbridge!
your information and the videos really helped me a lot. I have a few additional questions though. I hope I don't ask for to much by asking if you could pass them forward to your friend? That would help me a lot :cheers:

The epoxygrout I attend to use is Mapei's Kerapoxy! I have after my last post yesterday opend up one container for the first time. It didn't contain powder as I first thought. It contains a dough like substance that shall be mixed up with a bottle of liquid, probably a hardener. So to weigh up and meassure the liquid for a smaller batch for a try out, is out of discussion.

Could this be a right procedure?

1: Wet the surface very lightly with a moist sponge. One person I have spoken to said that by using light soap solution on the tiles before grouting makes the grout to slide more easily over the plates.......?

2: Apply the grout the same way as you do with cement based grout but with a special trowel(se pic).

3: Immediately after you have got a uniform amount grout into the tile lines start to wet the surface with water and use the scotch brite(se pic) with circualting movements to remove the excess grout.

4: Right after point 3 is finished, start cleaning the surface with a sponge that you continusly soak with water. is it this water that I'm supposed to mix with distilled white vinegar? If so! Do you have any clue which ratio I shall mix in the vinegar?

5: is it finished after point 4?

I'm also little unsure if the scotch brite sponge on the picture is to coars? The video in your last post showed a white scotch brite sponge which I think is a little softer.

Many questions lbridge but I'm so excited that I might(with your help) eventually be confident enough to do this task myself :wave:

Thanks in advance
//Mats[attachment=1:1troghsx]'s KerapoxyIMG_7859.gif[/attachment:1troghsx][attachment=0:1troghsx]'s KerapoxyIMG_7860.gif[/attachment:1troghsx]

Attachments

• \'s KerapoxyIMG_7859.gif
    \'s KerapoxyIMG_7859.gif
    281.9 KB · Views: 403
  • \'s KerapoxyIMG_7860.gif
    \'s KerapoxyIMG_7860.gif
    352.7 KB · Views: 403
Distilled white vinegar in the US is 5 to 8 % acetic acid. The ratio is mentioned in the video at 1/2 cup vinegar to 2 gallons of water (about 60 to one if I can do the math right).

I won't see the gentleman until sometime next week, but in the meantime,

1. He didn't mention this, might be true.
2. yes.
3/4/5. He told me he does the sponge wipe first to get rid of most of the grout, then the pad just as the grout starts to haze. This might be a technique particular to a certain way he worked - will have to ask and see if he knows with certainty.

The brand you show is available at a local store called Home Depot in my area - I will be there sometime this weekend and hopefully find a tile guy who can also give some advice - between them maybe you can get a good foundation for the process.

Spoke to my friend at work. Unfortunately he did not use the Mapei brand and is reluctant to provide instructions. He did say the product had a very good reputation, but in the USA their product support staff is not very friendly (why he used another brand).

I looked up the Mapei international web site and read their English instructions - and they do not mention vinegar - so I may be of no use to you at all. Sorry my friend - all I can offer is to try a board with one section just water and one with vinegar.

Actually, maybe their Euro support center is more friendly - if you have not already tried, here is their website in your area - http://www.mapei.se/

No worries mate!
I understand your friends attitude, I'm also hesitant to offer advice if I don't speak out of own experience.
It was actually your first post that opend up my eyes that there is a possibility to pull this through myself, so you have done enough already or NOT :lol:
I have not started yet so keep your fingers crossed but I'm pretty confident that with the right preparation that I can make it.
I have been away with my job this week and have broke my un written rule that is not bringing my computer while away. So I have had time to dig deep in the information about various epoxy materials for many long hours. So this stay have not been a computer free like it normally is so far, more a alcoholic free...!! :shock: And I can't figuring out which is worst :cool:

Lbridge I'm glad you made the efforts for me. That's whats so good about this board! Everybody helps in a very friendly manner, So like Ortofish once teached me( I think it was here, it was either her or Pisces) Kudos to you lbridge :-D

I will be back home tomorrow and I need to collect various things( have made a long shopping list) there among distilled white vinegar :goodjob: That is actually a tips that I have seen for many different type of epoxy so I think it will be good for Mapeis product aswell.

I hope I can be back on sunday with results of my efforts.What I hope for now is a shady weekend as a change, direct sunshine proceed the curing process with a epoxy so that is something I want to avoid to every price. If that happen will I have to wait until sundown to apply it.

The electricity is down in the machineroom now and like I said before have I also taken down most of the equipment there. Not any plumbing yet but as soon as the grouting is done, that next in line.

A pic from the day I took down the filter, do I have to say that it was a big day :wave:

"I stand here lookin’ at your yellow railroad
In the ruins of your balcony
Wond’ring where you are tonight, sweet Marie"
Have had that song in my head all day and had to get it out.....[attachment=0:24duajl7]MonstretIMG_7859 (2).gif[/attachment:24duajl7]

Attachments

• MonstretIMG_7859 (2).gif
    MonstretIMG_7859 (2).gif
    313.6 KB · Views: 310
Alright Lynn great to hear from you :wave:
exactly at the right moment, I was just about to go down on the floor to make some push ups before bed, or reach for the remote so I could switch channel on the tv getting away from the annoying program that been on for the last 1,5hours. I coulden't decided for which but now when you are online can I stay here in the armchair with the laptop in my lap a bit longer :mrgreen: So don't log out on me now........
What are you up to on a day like this!? you're probably at work sneaking out on the net when the boss doesen't look :cool: It's so good to be able to connect wíth people around the world Lynn, just by turning on the computer it's awsome. What did we do before the internet was everyones having? then I woulden't have had the chance to talk to you and what would life be without this sort of essential conversations, that what's really makes a difference.
I come to think of an anecdote about an interview with Dylan that took place a few years ago. There was a handful of journalists that was invited and among them one swedish. Everyone took their chance and asked him the their most intelligent and overinterpret questions they had. My guess it that Dylan is fed with answering to this sort of questions for over 40 years, but.... :cool: So in the end the swedish reporter asked Dylan how his golf swing was now a days. When the interview was over he rised up and went over to the swedish bloke and layed his hand on his shoulder and said: "you're the one that really asked me the stufff" and then went away laughing..... Isn't that something. That what is all about, this small meetings and things that we say. Things that we just say without thinking it over. Just like I do right now :blah: :blah:

Where I am at the moment is the internet connection so slow that it reminds of a dial up connection from the ninethees(spelling)
So that makes youtube browsing impossible! So thats why I am swifting among some messages boards trying to annoy as many as I can, can give you an explanation of this rant :mrgreen:

Is it as good as you thought to own a pool Lynn? Give me some words that describes your feelings about your pool.

Best regards¨
Mats
Ps please answer so I don't have to go down on the floor :cool: DS

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Mats, I'm back. Just been lurking around here.
Yes, the pool is everything I thought it would be :whoot: No more hooking to the boat, making sure it's spotless,and hauling it to the lake where everyone shows up at the dock with their coolers :cheers: Been doing that for 20 years. Now I can just walk out my back door anytime and swim. I don't regret it for a minute, especially since I found TFP and know the proper way to take care of it.
I know you will be happy with your pool, especially the fact that you built it yourself. You have to get a lot of satisfaction know that. And I might add, did an absolutely fabulous job. :goodjob:
Yes I'm at work. It is a beautiful day here in Tn. Very warm, 85. I think I will take a swim when I get home.
Now, get to those push ups. :whip: Looking for that 6 pack abs when you're in the pool.

lol! I have just done them, i did it out of disapointment that you logged out on me.
I will turn into the gym first thing tomorrow when I get back home, :evil: I never thought you would remember the thoughtless little promise that I've made :cool:

Thanks for a good laugh my friend, now it's time for bed :wave:

Urgent!!!

I'm just about to get going with the grouting when I got second toughts which one of the two below that are distilled white vinegar!
It would mean a lot of someone can help me with this one. The one to the left are white in colour and pretty strong and the one to the right is yellowish in it's colour and weaker. free translation is the one to the right "wine vinegar".
I get different answers when I look it up in a dictionary!

Thanks from a stressed and angry Porter that I haven't looked this up before :hammer:

[attachment=0:1nm9n46f]UrgentIMG_7861.gif[/attachment:1nm9n46f]

Attachments

• UrgentIMG_7861.gif
    UrgentIMG_7861.gif
    264.8 KB · Views: 193
The bottle on the left has a small rectangular box that says 12%, but I can't make out the print below the 12%. Try translating the words below the 12% and see if that tells you anything useful.

Thanks for the info! It think I choosed the right one!

I'm in very shortly just to grab something to eat after this wringer :| I will try to get another bucket up before I call it a day but can already
establish that this type of grout not is a DIY type of work. It's doable but it's many times more difficult compared to a cement grout.
The saying that a mediocre tileing job can be saved by a good grouting job is far from the truth with this type of grout. I think the forthcoming buckets will be a bit easier now when I have a little experience :) But I would still be hesitant to apply this grout on surfaces not covered with water.
I'll be back with a few close ups of the results tomorrow, have to go out there again!
Thanks again for the answers :wave:

And a few pics only for the sake of it! And as usuall is the whole family involved :grrrr:[attachment=2:1btmlns1]grouting KerapoxyIMG_7861 (2).gif[/attachment:1btmlns1][attachment=1:1btmlns1]grouting KerapoxyIMG_7863.gif[/attachment:1btmlns1][attachment=0:1btmlns1]grouting KerapoxyIMG_7864.gif[/attachment:1btmlns1]

Attachments

• grouting KerapoxyIMG_7861 (2).gif
    grouting KerapoxyIMG_7861 (2).gif
    161.1 KB · Views: 173
  • grouting KerapoxyIMG_7863.gif
    grouting KerapoxyIMG_7863.gif
    263 KB · Views: 174
  • grouting KerapoxyIMG_7864.gif
    grouting KerapoxyIMG_7864.gif
    170.5 KB · Views: 173
Second bucket went smoother but it's still a lot of hassle to get it into the grout lines. I'm really sore in my muscle after the struggle I went through the last half hour of each blend. It's then it's starting to getting really hard to apply it, when the grout start to settled it demands a lot of power to get into place.
I shall not exaggerate the skills you need to do this type of job yourself, it's absolutely something for someone with some experience from tileing job! Just prepare yourself for some hard work.
They say it will rain here tomorrow, so I refer to my signature. You either making love or expecting rain :goodjob:

See you tomorrow TFP
//Mats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.