Concrete pool renovation - PebbleSheen, glass tiles, etc.

The PebbleTec representative said that as of this morning no one had yet ordered my product. After he called the plasterer to inquire, he said they just placed the order and it should show up Next Wednesday or Thursday. Unbelievable. I'm not quite sure what to do except beg both the pool builder and plaster company to finish the job. I get the sense there have been some unpaid bills in the past that unfortunately I am on the receiving end of.

OH adult word NO! Rock and hard place for sure! They want to get paid but past history may have taught them it might not happen and YOUR pool is the paying the price :(

At least you have hope now. Is the stuff being sent to your house or their shop?

It's being sent to the plaster company's shop. It seems multiple things are at play here and the ball may have been dropped by several people at various times. It is a huge frustration on my end and requires me to do some of their legwork. I'll update with photos once complete, but it looks like before all is said and done we will have been waiting on the plaster crew for more than two months to show up. Ridiculous.

Well after two months of waiting, the plasterers finally showed up. The pool builder did not tell them which returns were live and which had been disconnected so they had to come back yesterday and patch the old ones after I noticed it. A few of the old lines were connected to nothing under the deck so when the water reached them it would have just flooded under our deck. Could have been a big problem and an even bigger problem if our pool was next to our house like most people. Better communication and management would go a long way. At any rate, the patches look good and we are about 3/4 full as of this morning running two hoses. Looks like we will swim this weekend! It looks very Mediterranean in the pictures, but will look less so once full of water. Regardless, any colors other than white or light gray get way too hot around here since our pool sees full sun.

The masons are finishing up the rest of the brickwork today. Then we will just have to clean up, regrade, and seal the deck and coping, and we are finished. That whole process might still take a few weeks, but at least we will be able to use the pool. I'll post a bunch more pictures once everything is finally complete.

IMG_0442.jpgIMG_0443.jpgIMG_0445.jpgIMG_0448.jpg

Oh WOW, that is beautiful!! Quite something with the house and trees in the background (of that picture). We'll need to see the other view also. And when the pool is balanced, be sure to post before and after pictures! That should be pretty dramatic!!! :whoot:

As I suspected, it may be a few weeks still. We are really wet right now and the forecast is for more rain all of this week and into the weekend. I need at least a few days in a row with sun and no precipitation to dry out enough to get the equipment in to clean up and regrade. At least we were able to swim this past weekend.

forecast.jpg.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are finally finished with our pool renovation! Well, almost. It finally dried up enough to haul away the trash and regrade. We still have to take care of a few odds and ends including pressure washing and sealing the deck and coping, a little trim carpentry and painting, and grass seed. Otherwise, we are finished and the pool water is clear and balanced! We are going to give it a year to see how we use the space before buying a bunch of furniture and may end up having an outdoor fireplace built within the next year or two if it looks like we will be doing a lot of grilling/cooking or spending considerable time by the pool during cooler weather. Anyway, here are the pics.

BEFORE (completely overgrown with old columns leaning from boxwood roots):
IMG_0495.jpg

DURING (with everything removed):
IMG_0274.jpg

AFTER:
IMG_0479.jpgIMG_0489.jpgIMG_0485.jpgIMG_0484.jpg

Water during hose fill:
IMG_0449.jpg

TFP water after balancing (crystal clear to nine feet):
IMG_0483.jpg

Junction box and light switch:
IMG_0480.jpg

Drain perforation detail in wall (upside down unfortunately). Notice how the interior is bricked all the way through. This is very important, particularly in colder climates to prevent freeze/thaw from blowing out the concrete block core:
IMG_0481.jpg

It was quite a journey but didn't have to be. My father is a contractor so I understand timelines, weather constraints, mud, coordinating subcontractors, et cetera, but this was almost more than I could take. I'm convinced that these pool contractors try to get as many jobs as they can going at one time so they have the work locked up (particularly during the busy season), but because they have so many jobs going the projects take forever to see to completion. Add to that a lack of oversight and some lying along the way, and you have a recipe for serious frustration. I can certainly empathize with others on this forum who struggle through their builds, particularly when contractors don't do as they say or make serious mistakes. There was definitely a period of time when I didn't think it was worth it (particularly while waiting for the plaster crew to show up), but you are correct, it was.

I'm so sorry for your frustrations! As you said, it doesn't have to be that way. It will all fade. You may never forget, but the feelings WILL fade with time.

I love your pool; I love your house; I love your land!!! Yes, I could live there quite easily. It's just wonderful. It's such a peaceful setting with room to breathe! Sighhhhhh! Yes, I absolutely love it all!

Suz
(and thanks for both views - away from the house and toward the house!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.