Concrete pool renovation - PebbleSheen, glass tiles, etc.

Overlays aren't really an option because the coping is being cut to the same thickness as the original brick pavers. So, when placed on the mortar bed, they will be flush with the deck. If we keep the existing deck, we will definitely pressure wash with bleach. I think we may wait to see how the deck handles the removal of overgrown 40 year-old bushes. The decision-making window is short so we will see what happens.

The installation of the glass tiles was finished on Friday. I think they look fantastic and that the 1x2 subway style was definitely the way to go.

Tile install.jpgTile install close up.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

In addition, we have decided to rip up the old deck and pour a new one. I was able to save A LOT of money by hiring my own subcontractors for the deck and bypassing my pool builder. He didn't seem too upset about it. A few questions in case anyone has any comments or opinions:

1. Smooth or brushed concrete finish?

2. Do I need to ensure that the wire mesh in the new deck is grounded/bonded? Anyone have any insight into this?

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the tile!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOWER!!!!

Brushed all of the say...............traction!!!

Bonding of the wire mesh=YES! I will let you do a search in the search box at the top of the page to find the details (I am short on time :( )

Kim:kim:

It dried out enough yesterday that they were able to finish ripping out the overgrown bushes and remove the old deck. Getting closer. That said, I uncovered an issue that I will have to deal with. I asked for all new plumbing since much of the old plumbing had failed. I did some investigating and dug all around my pool trying to find where they tied into the old main drain line only to discover that the pool builder simply tied into the old main drain line underneath my equipment pad and tried to fill it back in. Hardly new plumbing and would be my problem should the old main drain pipes fail under my new concrete deck. We may have that conversation tonight as I need this problem rectified prior to installing the coping and deck. It's frustrating when you hire a contractor and then have to partially assume the role yourself.

deck gone.jpgmain drain.jpgView attachment 57668View attachment 57669

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just spoke with him actually and he is going to send his guys back out to replace the line and apologized that they hadn't. I may have to keep a close eye on things, but at least they are not combative when I have an issue. Hopefully we will have this thing finished in the next 4-6 weeks.

The stone coping was laid yesterday and the mason was going to finish the mortar joints today. Concrete is scheduled to be poured next week and the Pebblesheen finish the following week. After that, will have to wait for the mason's availability again to build a sitting wall around the pool, new columns, and pavers in certain areas. Regardless, we should be swimming soon!

IMG_0330.jpgIMG_0331.jpg

You want to make sure the concrete guys find the bonding wires coming out of the pool shell and connect them to at least one bonding wire around the pool. The pool builder or an electrician should know how to do this otherwise pm me and I will explain further.

Looking very nice. I had a few people try to talk me out of Pebblesheen but we stayed the course and really like it. It is not rough, doesn't cut our feet or any of the other stories we heard. I guess there could always be bad installs where they don't do as good a job finishing, but all Pebbletec installers are supposed to be certified and trained. We are very happy with it. I'd probably use the very same product if I were to do it again tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We found one of the old copper bonding wires when the old deck was removed and will tie into that. I'm meeting the electrician tomorrow.

My father has a PebbleSheen pool so I was not afraid of it. His is not rough at all. Plus it's hard to beat the product longevity and training of the installation crews.

Should have a few more photos in the coming weeks as the final product comes together. Good thing too, as it's starting to warm up here in Mississippi!

The mason finished grouting the stone and half the pool deck has been poured. They are pouring the other half tomorrow. I had the concrete guys put a step/turn-down footer for the sitting wall. I don't want it moving at all. Also, expansion joints all the way around that will be filled in with SL100. I will provide complete photo documentation with descriptions of everything once complete. A few more weeks now probably.

IMG_0337.jpgIMG_0357.jpgIMG_0356.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.