Concrete or fiberglass pool in Katy, Tx

The thing that makes it difficult to make a decision is that both sides are suggesting good feedbacks. For Chlorine they say it is an old system, everyone knows how to work with it easier to control chemicals, cheaper ,etc. on the other side SWG owners also are very happy with it, saying low maintenance and easy to work with but a little bit extra cost at the beginning and additional equipment for future maintenance
I am getting the feeling that it maybe a preference as they are both have their pros and cons.
Has anyone used both systems for long time to compare pros and cons and make a call? Note that this pool is for hot Texas and experience can be different for other states with one or the other system

SWG owners also are very happy with it, saying low maintenance and easy to work with but a little bit extra cost at the beginning and additional equipment for future maintenance
So. You need X fc over the next 5 years, no matter what.

If the budget allowed, would you buy them for 50% or more off ? Next time without the install costs it could be 70% to 80% cheaper to buy the FC upfront.

The only drawback is buying the FC upfront, but no matter how well the math works, it doesn't put money in the budget. But on a pool build, it's a rounding error. I'd cut any other detail proportionately to pay for the SWG if I had to, say, 8 inches less patio around the perimeter. I would never even know it was missing.
Has anyone used both systems for long time to compare pros and cons and make a call?
There are thousands here that went to SWG after lugging jugs. The complaint we see over and over and over is 'I shoulda done it sooner'

These 3 in particular will tell you that.

@woodyp
@PoolStored
@SJPoe

@kul is liking it so far but hasn't seen a full season yet.

If the budget allowed, would you buy them for 50% or more off ? Next time without the install costs it could be 70% to 80% cheaper to buy the FC upfront.

The only drawback is buying the FC upfront, but no matter how well the math works, it doesn't put money in the budget. But on a pool build, it's a rounding error. I'd cut any other detail proportionately to pay for the SWG if I had to, say, 8 inches less patio around the perimeter. I would never even know it was missing.

There are thousands here that went to SWG after lugging jugs. The complaint we see over and over and over is 'I shoulda done it sooner'

@woodyp
@PoolStored
@SJPoe

Thanks @Newdude for your feedback. I see 3 out of 4 people you refered(including yourself) own a pool in the cold regions. As I mentioned before, my pool will be in Texas that has about 5 months of hot and humid weather. It is my understanding that heat cause the chlorine to evaporate quicker and need more to be added. Can this contribute to choosing one system or the other. I am not for or against any of teh systems. As a first time pool owner I am trying to make a right decision for the pool and since I will be the person that will be doing the maintenance myself(not knowing that much about pool and would need to learn to be able to do maintenance), I want less hassel.
Thanks for your feedbacks!

It is my understanding that heat cause the chlorine to evaporate quicker and need more to be added.
More UV = more FC needed.
Longer season = more FC needed.

More pucks
More gallons of bleach/chlorine
More SWG replacements.

It's equally proportionate between the 3, FC to FC. For example. Let's say your SWG dies twice as fast as mine. You'll also need twice the bleach if going that way. Or twice the pucks. Because you have twice the FC demand over the course of the season.

Twice the effort lugging supplies also.

If anything, in hot climates, lugging jugs gets old that much quicker.

Reactions: nima katy
Has anyone used both systems for long time to compare pros and cons and make a call? Note that this pool is for hot Texas and experience can be different for other states with one or the other system
I have had 2 pools (different homes-both in Katy TX) - used chlorine tabs in first one and constantly battling algae and first I heard term "chlorine lock" - which later found out to be high CYA which makes the "pool store standard target" of 2-5ppm of FC ineffective.
I used many tons of granular shock to keep the pool somewhat clear.

Second home had chlorine tabs as well. I transitioned to liquid chlorine even before joining TFP as it had to be better than chlorine tabs which contain CYA. Then joining TFP found I was on the right track and started reading more about SWCG (salt pools). Converted to SWCG 2 years ago and will never look back.

For Texas (Katy area), I can go away for 10 days in middle of summer and only be concerned about debris clogging skimmer or excessive evaporation (do not have an autofill). I do add some chlorine tabs in a floater as they also release acid which helps on any potential pH rise over that period. The added CYA of these pucks are minimal for a 10-day period.

I have had 2 pools (different homes-both in Katy TX) - used chlorine tabs in first one and constantly battling algae and first I heard term "chlorine lock" - which later found out to be high CYA which makes the "pool store standard target" of 2-5ppm of FC ineffective.
I used many tons of granular shock to keep the pool somewhat clear.

Second home had chlorine tabs as well. I transitioned to liquid chlorine even before joining TFP as it had to be better than chlorine tabs which contain CYA. Then joining TFP found I was on the right track and started reading more about SWCG (salt pools). Converted to SWCG 2 years ago and will never look back.

For Texas (Katy area), I can go away for 10 days in middle of summer and only be concerned about debris clogging skimmer or excessive evaporation (do not have an autofill). I do add some chlorine tabs in a floater as they also release acid which helps on any potential pH rise over that period. The added CYA of these pucks are minimal for a 10-day period.
Thanks for input
Sometime we are out for one or month an a half out in the summer
Can it be simply maintained or i should ask a company to take care if it this time frame if SWG used?

@woodyp
@PoolStored
@SJPoe

Wish I'd done it sooner....

Thanks for input
Sometime we are out for one or month an a half out in the summer
Can it be simply maintained or i should ask a company to take care if it this time frame if SWG used?
If your SWCG is set correctly then the concern is about the skimmer baskets, level of pool water.
If you have a neighbor that can check the baskets weekly and ensure water level is ok.
I would put some chlorine tablets in floater to reduce pH rise. Ensure your TA is in 60-80 range

You may be able to find a pool service that will just do 6 weeks. If that makes easier and reduces concerns then that is worth it.

Reactions: Newdude
I want less hassel.
SWG = less hassle over other methods generally employed by a homeowner for getting chlorine into a pool. You’ve answered your own question.
Contractor mentioned in the contract Itellicenter I5 W/salt I am wondering if that is the same as IC40
The Intellicenter I5 is the automation…the brains of your system…the engine that produces your chlorine would be the Intellichlor IC40/IC 60 etc. You want the engine connected to the brain to be able to produce 2x the volume of chlorine for your pool. If you have a 20,000 gallon pool go for the IC 40….If you have a 30,000 gallon pool go for the IC 60.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SWG = less hassle over other methods generally employed by a homeowner for getting chlorine into a pool. You’ve answered your own question.

The Intellicenter I5 is the automation…the brains of your system…the engine that produces your chlorine would be the Intellichlor IC40/IC 60 etc. You want the engine connected to the brain to be able to produce 2x the volume of chlorine for your pool. If you have a 20,000 gallon pool go for the IC 40….If you have a 30,000 gallon pool go for the IC 60.
thanks!
I do have about 12000 gal pool(about 450 square foot poo; 13.5'x33' 3.5' to 5.5' deep)
So, is the IC5 is a good automation match with the IC40?

thanks!
I do have about 12000 gal pool(about 450 square foot poo; 13.5'x33' 3.5' to 5.5' deep)
For your pool size an IC40 with i5 should do just fine. What specific details did the contractor list about the I5?

thanks!
The IntelliCenter IC5 relates to the capability of the automation system to control devices. Not related directly to the capability of the IC40 SWCG. The Automation system will handle the SWCG integration.
How many pumps are in your plan? How many lights? Do you have Spa and Pool? What type of cleaner will you use? Do you have an air blower? All of these things affects how many relays you need in the IntelliCenter.

The IntelliCenter IC5 relates to the capability of the automation system to control devices. Not related directly to the capability of the IC40 SWCG. The Automation system will handle the SWCG integration.
How many pumps are in your plan? How many lights? Do you have Spa and Pool? What type of cleaner will you use? Do you have an air blower? All of these things affects how many relays you need in the IntelliCenter.
  • For SWG sanitizing system: IC 40 SWCG
    Main Pump: Intelliflo3 pump
Filter: Pentair 420 Clean and Clear Cartridge
SPA Jets:8
Pool cleaner: Aqua Products EVO 614i
Heater(just for spa): Pentair master 400K BTU;
Lighting:(2) LED changing light for pool and (1)for spa

Reactions: HermanTX