Concrete deck is too hot!

How much area are you talking? I have an area about 12 x 28 as my primary decking around the pool and I took likely the cheapest route. I got 2 outdoor rugs (9 x 12 each) and put them on the concrete. Looks really nice and I gave less than $100 total. I don't bother with the concrete perimeter around the rest of my pool, the kids splashing covers the first 3 feet anyway which cools that concrete quickly.

Reactions: Shirker
How much area are you talking? I have an area about 12 x 28 as my primary decking around the pool and I took likely the cheapest route. I got 2 outdoor rugs (9 x 12 each) and put them on the concrete. Looks really nice and I gave less than $100 total. I don't bother with the concrete perimeter around the rest of my pool, the kids splashing covers the first 3 feet anyway which cools that concrete quickly.

Three-foot apron around perimeter of 18x36 pool, then a patio between pool and house (including french drains) that is probably 40x12.

My first thoughts would be to shade the patio area with, an umbrella, shade sail, pergola, or permanent roof structure (cheapest -> expensive) to prevent the concrete from ever getting too hot. Then you're not worrying about coating the concrete with something to reduce the heat, you're treating it at the source by reducing the sun exposure. The three foot perimeter around your pool, I wouldn't worry too much about. It's just like mine and the splashing will take care of the heat there. I'm in Oklahoma and the sun gets really hot, but if there are any number of people out there the perimeter seems to always stay wet and that reduces the heat from the concrete.

I chose to go cheap for my first year and have 2 area rugs on my slightly smaller sized patio space with two 9' octagonal umbrellas. I'm thinking about building a pergola this winter over half that area, but the $50 umbrellas are giving me time to think that through while it's hot without wasting $400 (Self-built pergola price, contracted is much more) and hours of my time. Right now, I like the umbrella option, but it's Oklahoma and the wind only allows me to use them 50% of the time at best.

Maybe someone will chime in on other options like concrete coatings, etc. but I have no knowledge about those other than what I find on Google and here.

Reactions: CeeElGee78
Flip flops can be a trip hazard. We use water shoes when the concrete is too hot. Shade is always good. Half of the pool deck is shaded for those of us who can't handle the sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.