mikewatson

Mar 27, 2021
Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My in-ground pool deck is needing some repairs on the concrete coping. As you can see, it’s just worn off. The pool is around 30-40 years old, so normal wear and tear stuff. is there anything besides regular Quick-Crete mix that I should use to repair these spots? Any tips? I’ll coat and paint after the repairs, of course.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• C95409C9-6C95-4840-A9C8-5D320680E7A9.jpeg
    C95409C9-6C95-4840-A9C8-5D320680E7A9.jpeg
    488.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 5DB8D0A4-38BE-4575-B933-F7507BE4CA0D.jpeg
    5DB8D0A4-38BE-4575-B933-F7507BE4CA0D.jpeg
    516.4 KB · Views: 59
My in-ground pool deck is needing some repairs on the concrete coping. As you can see, it’s just worn off. The pool is around 30-40 years old, so normal wear and tear stuff. is there anything besides regular Quick-Crete mix that I should use to repair these spots? Any tips? I’ll coat and paint after the repairs, of course.

Thanks for the help!
You’ll need to remove the existing coating that’s peeling off to get any concrete patch to stick to it. Kinda looks like someone smeared some silicone or caulk in there? (Hopefully not).

If it’s not very deep some quickkrete patch can work and I did something similar on mine with a grout mix. (Sand and cement). If it’s more than 1/4” deep then some of the special concrete patch would stick better since it’s on a vertical surface.

You’ll need to remove the existing coating that’s peeling off to get any concrete patch to stick to it. Kinda looks like someone smeared some silicone or caulk in there? (Hopefully not).

If it’s not very deep some quickkrete patch can work and I did something similar on mine with a grout mix. (Sand and cement). If it’s more than 1/4” deep then some of the special concrete patch would stick better since it’s on a vertical surface.
It’s actually grout from the tile work. It should chip out pretty easily.

It’s actually grout from the tile work. It should chip out pretty easily.
Ok that’s good. Is the coping secured to the bond beam or is this cantilever coping/deck? Yours looks short so I’d guess it’s secured to the bond beam so it’s ok to grout between the tile and coping. Mine it cantilever so I have to keep an expansion joint there, otherwise the patch can break loose again as the deck expands and contracts.

I was able to get started on it with some of the E-Z patch products. I used #6 and it was actually super easy. Here is a quick pic. It still needs another skim coat and then deck coating. Really good product, but kinda expensive 9E2470B7-22D4-4A9C-9D5A-416B9B26B008.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.