Concrete collar around steel wall pool

jlewis84

Apr 14, 2020
virginia
We are buying a 14x29 pool kit, steel wall, and are well aware the installation instructions call for concrete collar around wall bottom. We dont live in town and on private land so building codes are not an issue. Pouring the bottom collar is going to cost a fortune but i dont want to compromise integrity. Any alternative ideas or how little concrete can be used? thanks in advance

@jimmythegreek said "You need a collar even if it's only 5" that's what's holding the pool from shifting. " in

That bottom collar is needed to stabilize the whole pool. I would not skimp on it.

A 29" wide and 8" deep collar around a 14' x 29' pool will take about 5.5 yards of concrete, I would order 6 yards to be safe. You will have to call your local concrete company to see what the going rate is. I would guess $100 per yard to get you in the ballpark. So roughly $600 for the collar.

You will also need Pool Crete for the bottom of the pool and for that size pool it will take roughly 45 bags which will run you about $1,050.

Lastly...if you pour a 3' wide deck around the pool, that will take roughly 6 more yards of concrete...so another $600.

That is your material cost above what most pool kits will come with.

Reactions: jlewis84
There are any number of places you can choose to save a few bucks on a build. A good solid concrete collar shouldn't be one of them. It's one of those things that if there ever is an issue, it'll cost WAY more to fix vs the cost of just doing it right in the first place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.