Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all, hoping someone has an idea what causes this, ways to alleviate/repair etc. I have two spillway bowls; one looks fine as was replaced a few years ago. This other bowl was from 2016 when pool was built. The outer protective layer has fallen away and the concrete deteriorating. Someone said the inside of the bowl needed to be sealed or painted, as water is seeping through and causing the issue (doesn't seem to be the case). I figured with everyone here someone has ran into this. I couldn't find much help in google, but could be searching wrong terms. We are in AZ to give an idea about weather. 20240206_155046.jpg20240206_155100.jpg20240206_155106.jpg

Last edited:
Sealing and painting is not a long term solution for old deteriorating concrete.

One bowl was replaced and now this one should be replaced.

Sealing and painting is not a long term solution for old deteriorating concrete.

One bowl was replaced and now this one should be replaced.
No, I get it, and agree. The bowl is from 2016, do they all last about that long? I am trying to understand what caused it, how to prevent, etc. Does pool water slowly seep out, or is it just the AZ weather? I am moving and buyers wanted to find a way to prolong the life of current bowl (and in future, I don't want to buy these for new pool and keep having an issue). Thanks.

No, I get it, and agree. The bowl is from 2016, do they all last about that long? I am trying to understand what caused it, how to prevent, etc. Does pool water slowly seep out, or is it just the AZ weather? I am moving and buyers wanted to find a way to prolong the life of current bowl (and in future, I don't want to buy these for new pool and keep having an issue). Thanks.
Concrete with water on it/pouring over it just deteriorates over time.

What is the exterior and interior of the concrete bowls finished with?

Concrete is not waterproof. Concrete is just sand, aggregate, cement, and water bound together. Concrete deteriorates from water and weather.

There are many finishes that can be put on concrete to protect it from the weather.

Concrete is like stone where there is a lot of variation in quality.

Maybe it is just really poor quality concrete?

Have you contacted the bowl manufacturer to see what they say?

Does the manufacturer provide a warranty?

Is water going over the concrete or just through the copper scupper part?

Thanks all, water chemistry is spot on, I have used the TFP method for some time (however inherited this pool 2 years ago-when it was out of wack and fixed the chemistry). Not sure why copper is like that, but cleaning it this weekend. I have my own Taylor kit and keep it dialed in all the time. Water does not spill over sides, just in front on spillway copper scupper. I don't know what it's finished with, no manufacturer info. I am going to try and contact the builders of the pool and get that info to find out and see what they say about the bowl. Attached is what the newer one looks like (was replaced as a landscaper cracked the old one) . I am assuming they just deteriorate over time. The neighbor has fire/spill bowls and the outside looks like it is just starting to start deteriorating. Thanks again all!

Attachments

• 20240207_123828.jpg
    20240207_123828.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 7
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.