Concerned about plumbing

rmclain73

Silver Supporter
May 18, 2013
Needham, MA
Doing some pre-opening prep work today and noticed something that has me a little concerned, but maybe its fine. When we did our build we plumbed for a future waterfall. We have a 2" pipe sticking about 3 feet above the ground.

29yflhz.jpg

I could swear when they did the install they put a plug at the top of the pipe. However, when I was looking at it today I saw no plug. Sticking a light down there all I could see was some frozen water at the bottom. Over at my equipment pad there is plumbing for the future waterfall as well. Those two pipes are plugged.

am31co.jpg

My question is will the pipe that is not plugged cause me any issues with my pool plumbing as there is frozen water down there, or will this have no impact at this time? I cannot see how a plug would just disappear so is that pipe even in need of a plug? Maybe I am just thinking there was once one there. I have had the pool company out to close the pool two times, but I cannot imagine they would take it out. What issues could I have as a result of this?

rm,

My gut says that frozen plumbing issues occur when the ice has no where to expand... in the case of your pipes, I would think the water would freeze but not cause anything to break.

Of course, the only way to be sure would be to pressure test the pipes before using them.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

rm,

My gut says that frozen plumbing issues occur when the ice has no where to expand... in the case of your pipes, I would think the water would freeze but not cause anything to break.

Of course, the only way to be sure would be to pressure test the pipes before using them.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Would this effect all plumbing, or just plumbing of the waterfall?

rm,

My thought is that if the pipes are not normally capped off then they can't be connected to anything associated with your current plumbing.. Or, they would be shooting water out anytime you ran your pump...

Jim R.

rm,

My thought is that if the pipes are not normally capped off then they can't be connected to anything associated with your current plumbing.. Or, they would be shooting water out anytime you ran your pump...

Jim R.
That's the issue, I think it was plugged at some point. I am thinking the plug was taken out at my last closing, but why I don't know. I was not home at the closing.

Normally, or ideally non used pipes should have had plastic glued on caps - not rubber plugs.

As far as damage (or a cracked pipe) the only want to know is to pressure test that line before you install your water feature.

Most likely it is OK as you would have only had a small amount of snow and ice entering the exposed pipe and it could have expanded up a bit if needed.

B

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.