Compool upgrade to Easytouch w/ ScreenLogic - automation

SonnyDMB

Mar 19, 2021
Chandler, Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Been reading a lot of postings and very appreciative of all the great info and contributors. Finally ready to pull the trigger on pool automation but have a few questions hopefully you can help me with.

I have the Compool LX3800…..which I assume means I’m a candidate to upgrade to easytouch (#521107 without transformer + #522104 for ScreenLogic) which will be more cost effective then going to intellicenter. if I have that correct and based on my needs, I’d like to confirm how many of the 7 Aux Relays I would be using. My understanding:
  • Spa/pool pump, heater, and SWG (if I add one) would not use an Aux relay
  • Waterfall (own pump), pool light, spa light, spa jets (own pump) will each use a relay…..total of 4 relays
  • Misting system and backyard lights will each use a relay
  • That leaves me with 1 leftover Aux relay. I’m not sure if these use relay’s or not: Controlling the spillover (from spa to pool), or the spa blower, or valve for suction cleaner (hose directly in skimmer)….do any of those use a relay or are those setup a different way? (I know I need to call Margaret for a robot but have the suction cleaner currently).
  • For my misting system, I have an individual water valve next to the pump…..anyway to control that with a relay (or same relay used for turning on the misting system itself) and/or some other smart water valve gadget? I prefer to only open that water valve when I use the misting system/pump

Other questions regarding using the app:
  • When I start the heater, I assume it won’t start the heater without the pump running? And if heat the spa, it would know to change the valve so the spillover isn’t occurring?
  • Egg timers will work for misting system and anything else I have on a relay?
  • My understanding is the app (iPhone) can now do all the functions that can be done on desktop. If there are any functions that can only be done on desktop (other than firmware download), would be good to know. I’m in the Mac ecosystem and the 32/64 bit issue will be a problem for me using desktop unfortunately.
  • The app ratings (iPhone) for the past 6-12 months aren’t good and doesn’t look like has had version updates in quite some time. Can anyone confirm it’s still working fine and you’re happy with it? Any glaring omissions/features that are semi basic you believe it should have and/or are not currently working?
  • I see different comments that it may have issues with gigablast speeds and/or mesh Wifi. Hopefully those are one off issues as I assume pentair would list tech requirements if that were the case. I will most likely need to plug the protocol adapter into a child/satellite orbi and not the main orbi router.

My equipment:
  • Pool/spa combined pump (Pentair IntelliFlo VSF)
  • Heater: purex triton minimax plus
  • Waterfall (own pump).
  • Spa jets.
  • Spa blower.
  • Pool light.
  • Spa light.
  • Backyard landscape lights.
  • Misting system. (can I do water valve somehow also?)
  • Spa spillover into pool.
  • In floor pop-ups…..that I will likely permanently turn off
  • Pacfab sand filter
  • No SWG but may add at some point but probably not this year.
  • Skimmer suction cleaner…….for now ( will call Margaret at some point).

I really appreciate any insights as I’m about to pull the trigger. Thanks so much for the help. Sonny

Sonny,

To switch between the Pool mode and spa mode you need two valve actuators that move the Intake and Return valves between the Pool mode and the Spa mode. The movement of these valves require none of the Aux Relays and is pre-programmed into the EasyTouch at the factory. When in the Spa mode the spillover will automatically stop.

The IntelliFlo gets wired to constant AC power and does not use any relays.. Control of the IntelliFlo is by an RS-485 serial cable between the pump and the EasyTouch

Most heaters do not need an Aux relay.. The EasyTouch controls them using a small low voltage relay on the main board. This relay is connected to the heater's fireman's control circuit.

Anything else that needs 120 or 240 volts AC to run, will need a relay. The following will need an Aux relay

Waterfall pump.. (Unless it is another IntelliFlo)
Spa blower
Pool light
Spa light
Landscape lights
Misting system..
A SWCG will need to use the Pump/Filter relay

Spa jets... only need a relay if on their own pump.. If not, they will need a valve actuator.

Suction Cleaner... Will need a valve actuator if you want to turn it on or off automatically

I assume you realize that ScreenLogic2 is an add on system and not something that standard with an EasyTouch. You will needs Pentair P/N 522104. I have been using ScreenLogic for the past 6 years or so and love it.. Having an EasyTouch without ScreenLogic is like having a horse with no saddle. Yes it can be done, but it is a giant pain in the rear.. :mrgreen:

I don't know enough about the upgrade to tell you if you need a new transformer or not... :(

Keep in mind that the total program/schedule count is a max of 12... Egg timers count as one schedule so don't get carried away. 12 is not that many.. (That is why the new IntelliCenter has 100..) You normally use an egg-timer when you manually want to turn something on, and have it automatically shut off after X minutes or hours.. I use one to turn off my fill line an hour after I turn it on.

Thanks and good luck with your project..

Jim R.

Great info, thanks Jim,

I figured the egg timer was part of the 12 schedules but was hoping they weren't. I will definitely also get 522104.

Spa jets is it's own pump. does that mean 1 relay for spa jets plus 1 for spa blower?

Can I turn on the spillover if I want it on via ScreenLogic when just the pool is running? (for sound/ambiance) or is that done via ramping up RPMs on the VSF pump?

Anyone with a misting system used a smart valve (or something similar) to turn the water valve on/off specific to the misting system? I know I can turn on the misting system pump with a relay from easytouch but I have a water valve specific to the misting system that I usually keep off and would love to control that automatically if I can.

Sonny,

I use a standard sprinkler valve to turn on my fill line... Still takes a relay...

You can set up something called a Spillway Circuit in the EasyTouch.. You can turn it on and off with a relay. Basically it just turns the Intake valve to pool and the Return valve to spa and you can control the amount of spillover by the speed of the pump. You can schedule it an hour or so per day, to keep the spa chlorinated, and also turn it on when you want to show off for your guests.. And the EasyTouch has a place to store the speed you want to run when in the spillway mode..

All the things that I listed above work on most pools and pool plumbing.. That said, there is no way for us to know if you have some oddball plumbing set up.. A good example is that you have to have Jandy style valves to automate them.. If you have ball valve, then you are out of luck..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks all for the input. Doing compool to easytouch upgrade kit today. It turns out I only have 5 physical relays currently. I need to get a couple more. I'm not sure what to buy. Can anyone tell me exactly what I need and/or include a link?

I need 1 for spa light and hoping to do misting system also......misting system is currently 21amp or I'd just use an outdoor smart plug.

Appreciate the help.

Thanks Jim !!!

I agree on the misting system. it is on a dedicated electrical line. 1 person told me it would eventually fry my 15A outdoor smart plug but I suppose I can always test that theory and just use one anyway.

I got everything installed, but I'm having an issue with my new screen logic. when I try to use the heater, it isn't registering correctly in screen logic. it showed my pool heater was on when it was actually my spa that was heating. and then I tried again the next day and it actually showed heater was off for both pool and spa but the heater was in fact on and heating the spa.

when I use the control panel (easy touch from upgrade kit), it seems to work fine. a rep from pentair looked at my settings and didn't see anything that was incorrect in the screen logic setup. a pentair rep is supposed to be coming out to the house later. anyway, thought I'd see if this sounded familiar to anyone or suggestions? it was suggested it could be some sort of interference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sonny,

The EasyTouch does not really know what is heating, it just assumes that when you are in the Spa mode that your valves have actually moved to the Spa mode..

Makes sure that your valves are in sync with the EasyTouch..

In the pool mode, the Intake valve should be sucking water from the pool and then the Return Valve should be sending all the water back to the pool.

In the spa mode, the Intake valve should be sucking water from the spa drain and then the Return valve should be sending all the water back to the Spa..

It could be that you have the Intake and Return valves swapped, or they are just out of sync.. Each Actuator has a little On-Off-On switch.. Moving from one "on" to the other "on" will reverse the operation of the valve..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.