Completely replacing liner, do i need to buy a sump pump or can my pump / main drain completly drain the pool?

It depends if you have valves that can isolate the suction to the floor, If your floor is plumbed through the skimmer, then you typically do not get a good enough seal from the skimmer float valve to drain from the floor. If the floor is plumbed to the pad with valves to select between the skimmer and floor, then you can likely drain the pool down pretty far; don't stop the pump or you may not be able to get it to prime again.

Renting a sump pump for Home Depot would run you <$50 and drain the pool in half a day.

It depends if you have valves that can isolate the suction to the floor, If your floor is plumbed through the skimmer, then you typically do not get a good enough seal from the skimmer float valve to drain from the floor. If the floor is plumbed to the pad with valves to select between the skimmer and floor, then you can likely drain the pool down pretty far; don't stop the pump or you may not be able to get it to prime again.

Renting a sump pump for Home Depot would run you <$50 and drain the pool in half a day.
Thank you, I can isolate the pump to just that drain. And my neighbor has a small garden hose sump I could borrow, I just did not want to have to use it over days.

You show you have a liner pool. Do not drain a liner pool. At most you can drain 18" of water and then refill.

EDIT -- Sorry - I did not catch you were replacing liner.

Last edited:
Are you replacing the liner yourself? If you are there are many factors before you start. You need to have the liner on hand and be SURE of your groundwater status. If you are high and dry no issues. If you have any water underground you could have problems and you may encounter repairs to floor once removing old liner. Just be informed whatever you do or ask questions

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.