Virginia Beach, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I’m doing a big pool update this spring and have three competing quotes with different equipment "recommendations".

For background, I'm looking for a new liner (vinyl), salt cell, variable speed pump and new filter. My pool is approximately 26,000 gallons measuring 16' wide x 40' long with max depth at the basket of 8 feet. I'm also replacing the vinyl liner with 27mil liner but appears all three companies are using Merlin liners as an option at a similar price so not too much variation there.

I'm looking for three things here: ease of maintenance, performance, and longevity.

Looking for the TFP Community's feedback on these three options:
  1. Option 1
    • Hayward Aqua Plus Salt System w/ 40k Salt Cell
    • Hayward Sand Filter 300lbs (Glass Sand)
    • Hayward Super Pump Variable Speed Pump
  2. Option 2
    • Hayward Aqua Plus w/ 40k Salt Cell
    • DE Filter with 2-inch fittings (no more specifics given)
    • 1.85 HP Variable Speed Pump (no brand listed but assuming Hayward)
  3. Option 3
    • Pentair IC40 Salt Cell
    • Pentair CC200 Cartridge Filter
    • Pentair Superflo Variable Speed Pump
I have a good friend who has Option 3 and really likes the Pentair equipment which is what I'm leaning towards.

Appreciate anyone's feedback.

V,

We always recommend a SWCG that is 2 x the volume of your pool, so a 40K cell is a little small, I would go with the IC60.. That said, in your location an IC40 would work, you will just have to run it longer to make the amount of chlorine your pool will use.

I suggest that you get a much bigger filter.. Like the CCP-320 or 420.. I assume you close in the winter.. A bigger filter should allow you to run all year without cleaning the filter and just do it when you close so it is ready for the next season.

I personally like the IntelliFlo pump.. It is bigger than the SuperFlo VS, but this just means you can run it at a lower RPM and still move more water. In my case my pool stays open all year. My IntelliFlo runs 24/7, 365, at 1200 RPM most of the time for less than $20 bucks a month.

I have two rent house pools that have DE filters.. I can hardly wait for them to die so that I can replace them with large cartridge filters. I am simple, and I like simple, and cartridge filters are dirt simple. No MPV or DE to screw with..

And.. if you can't tell already... I am a highly biased Pentair kind of guy.. :mrgreen:

Reactions: imrodee
I would take Option 3 with the Pentair equipment. Except I would get a larger filter CCP420. And if you think you may ever want to get any automation then get the Intelliflo VS pump instead of the Superflo.

Option 1 and 2 include Hayward automation as part of the Aquaplus system. Without automation it would be the Aquarite.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.