Complete Newbie 3400 Gallon Bestway Pool

Thanks Mknauss. Really appreciate your help. I'll go and have a look at the Pool Math App. Have a great day (y)

Hi MKnauss. Just wondering if I could run something by you? I set up my pool in my car port. This is a picture of the carport beforehand.
1593022614119.png
The problem is it has a slope. I was hoping the difference between the high side and low side of the pool would be less than two inches. I filled it partially last night, and it turns out it is about 3.5 inches. I am now contemplating having a false floor built, (if that is the right term) like the one below.
1593022784504.png
It would consist of several 4 by 4 tapered supports topped with 3/4 inch waterproof plywood, similar to the picture below. Do you think this would be suitable as a base for the pool?

1593023226945.png

Attachments

• 1593022589428.png
    1593022589428.png
    472.3 KB · Views: 1
Hi. If you wouldn't mind also, I managed to track down these two bleaches. The first one below has surfactants as an added ingredient. Am I right in thinking that the surfactants make this bleach no good for use in the pool?
1593023698718.png

The second one has caustic soda as an extra ingredient. It also has a range of 4-10%. Would either of things be problematic when using this bleach to chlorinate the pool? Thanks as always.
1593023835234.png

Attachments

• Surfactants.jpg
    Surfactants.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1593023677052.png
    1593023677052.png
    540 KB · Views: 0
The platform should be fine. Realize that 3400 gallons of water weighs 28000 lbs -----

No surfactants in the bleach. The second one is fine, though it does not tell you what % it is, so that could be fun to use!

Hi Mknauss

After some trial and error, I built a base in my carport for the pool in order to level out the slope. I have now set the pool up. Please see the pics below.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-07-15 at 6.20.45 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-15 at 6.20.45 PM (1).jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 4
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-07-15 at 6.20.45 PM (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-15 at 6.20.45 PM (2).jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 5
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-07-15 at 6.20.45 PM (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-15 at 6.20.45 PM (3).jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 6
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-07-15 at 6.20.45 PM (5).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-15 at 6.20.45 PM (5).jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 6
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-07-15 at 6.20.45 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-15 at 6.20.45 PM.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: MITBeta
I have now filled the pool and done a pH and chlorine test, and taking a subscription for the pool calculator. Here are the test results.

Am I right in interpreting these results correctly-chlorine level being 3 and pH being 8.2?

The test kit scale only goes up to 3.0 and the ideal levels on the kit scale say 1.0 -1.5 but I assume this is incorrect, and that I should be aiming for 4-6 for chlorine levels? Does this mean I should be looking for the chlorine colour to turn green for the level to be around 4-6?

And do I need to lower the pH level according to this test result? As I said, it looks to me to be around 8.2, but perhaps I am wrong.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-07-15 at 6.09.03 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-15 at 6.09.03 PM (1).jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 3
That is the fun of these basic kits. Who knows what the chlorine level is. I suspect above 3 ppm.
For the chlorine test, you will have to use a dilution method to come close. Take a sample of pool water and equal amount of distilled water. Mix and fill your Chlorine test side with that. Then test and double the results.

The pH is harder as that test is no doubt effected by chlorine over 3 ppm. When you first mixed the pH reagent in, was that the color? If you let it sit, did it turn darker (more red/purple)?

What have you added so far?

That is the fun of these basic kits. Who knows what the chlorine level is. I suspect above 3 ppm.
For the chlorine test, you will have to use a dilution method to come close. Take a sample of pool water and equal amount of distilled water. Mix and fill your Chlorine test side with that. Then test and double the results.

The pH is harder as that test is no doubt effected by chlorine over 3 ppm. When you first mixed the pH reagent in, was that the color? If you let it sit, did it turn darker (more red/purple)?

What have you added so far?
Okay, I will try your suggestion for the chlorine level. The pH colour above was after I let it sit for about 5-10 minutes. The colour seemed to have stabilised at that colour.

All I have added so far is one 3 inch trichlor tablet and it has been in there for about 20 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok -- You need to read the pH right when it is mixed. Do not let it sit.
I would think the pH will not be high as the tablet is acidic.
I assume you are following the process discussed earlier. The Chlorine level is great.

Time to swim!

Ok -- You need to read the pH right when it is mixed. Do not let it sit.
I would think the pH will not be high as the tablet is acidic.
I assume you are following the process discussed earlier. The Chlorine level is great.

Time to swim!
Okay!! Thanks a lot. Finally, after many weeks of hard work and sweat. 46 degrees C here at the moment!!

I will follow the process you recommended previously by first using four Trichlor tablets continuously to get the CYA levels up to around 40 ppm, and then one every six months. After that, I will use bleach to stabilise the chlorine levels. Is this correct?

Yes. The tablet was every 6 weeks.

pH is for swimmer comfort. So if the kids get red eyes from swimming, that is a tell tale sign the pH is out of range.

Follow the TFP FC/CYA Levels. Their level is way too low. It assumes 0 CYA.

Oh, my mistake. Thought that was yours. Just took the Pool Math premium subscription. Thanks a lot for your help. It has been invaluable. Really appreciate all the prompt replies. Just one last question.

The Pool Math FC target says 1.0-4.0 (see below). Is this too low as you mentioned above?

Thanks again.
Kind regards

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-07-15 at 7.55.56 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-15 at 7.55.56 PM.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 3
You are showing 0 ppm CYA. The one tablet you have dissolved added 10 ppm CYA. Once you are done with the 4, you will have 40 ppm CYA.
Enter 10 ppm CYA.

Hi MKnauss

Pool is going well. Just had a quick question.

As mentioned previously, I only have the basic test kit that measures pH and chlorine levels. With the last test, the pH level had dropped to around 7.0. The chlorine level still seems fine. I have just started with my third trichlor tablet.

I have used the PoolMath app to try to calculate how much baking soda I need to add to get the pH back up around 7.6 but it's a bit difficult as I can't measure TA, CH etc. Does the amount in the screen shot below look about right?

Thanks

Attachments

• pH.jpeg
    pH.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1
I would suggest you add baking soda. That will raise your TA. pH will then rise with aeration.

300 grams of baking soda would add 15 ppm TA. Try that.

Look for a test kit that measures TA. It would help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.