Complete green algae

are there any coupon codes available for new customers?
Not really. You do get a discount on some 3rd parties including the TF100 test kit if you become a supporter of the site, but I wouldnt really call them a coupon code since you have to make a donation to get a discount.

Most people understandably do not want to donate here until after their green pool is fixed. My vote is get the test kit, let us help you do a SLAM to get clear water, then if you feel like it you can make a donation to the site and get the coupons for refills and other future purchases.

I also did the math and for every 1 gallon of 10% pool essentials you add, you are adding a FC of 6.7 in your 15k gallon pool.

We typically tell people to add about 5 FC to their pool on a daily basis to keep the algae at bay while you are waiting on your test kit. For you, that would be about 1 gallon of liquid chlorine per day.

Once you get your kit, you raise your FC to SLAM levels (10-40, depending on your CYA levels) and keep it there for several days until your pool is clear. You will probably be using 3+ gallons per day during that time.

Reactions: crimson avenger
Right before the pandemic last year, I opened my pool to Sheets of algae. I could scoop it in my hand. This was due to early closing the year before and not giving it a second thought to looking at it until March 2020. I used 40 gallons of concentrated bleach. I’m sure the people who saw me buying shopping carts full of bleach later thought I knew something about Covid they didn’t. Lol. I didn’t know about this forum but found the information on my own to fix it. I had test strips to go by. I bought 2 gallons of acid because I could even get a good ph reading on it, it was so high. Long story short. 40 gallons of bleach. Acid. Baking soda to raise my ta, twice daily cleaning of my filter cartridge and HOURS of vacuuming over 2 weeks, I cleared my pool. For a while. Then it came back. Turns out the sand bags I was using were hiding algae. I ended up having to take my liner out anyway because my vacuum caught a rock, made a hole and washed a ditch in the sand down the middle of my pool. I would have never have seen the algae growing in the sand bags for my stairs if it wasn’t for that. I never moved them. Point is. You need a ton of bleach and lots of cleaning. Everywhere. I had no kind of good test kit. I totally winged it based on approximates. What these folks tell you is good information. I could have saved my self a ton of trouble had I known about this site to begin with. Maybe. Lol

I totally get your point and I don't mind buying it when I see some results. I'm new to this forum and you guys can understand my situation too especially I haven't had any experience with this forum. Please help me through this first experience and I won't hesitate to buy the kit.
Without the proper kit we can't really tell whats going on with your pool to help you out. The recommended kits have specific tests in them that the other cheaper test kits do not.

We will help you get your pool looking great. We won't sell you anything. Everyone you meet
here is on board because we know this process works. A whole lot of us check in everyday
to see if we can share what we’ve learned with new folks in the same predicament. I found TFP
years ago when I had a green pool and had spent too much money on potions that didn’t work.

Without a good test kit you are blindfolded in a dark room. We (you & us) need to know what is
currently in your pool chemical-wise so we can guide you correctly. It's a "help us to help you"
kinda thing. You've been the pool store route. I hope you will get the test kit. It's less than a trip
or two to the pool store will cost ya! Oh, and we're glad you’re here. Welcome!

looks like some of that agae has settled, I would vacuum carefully and slowly to waste and put a gallon of 10% each evening until your test kit arrives. we will get this cleaned up and you will be so glad you got that kit (it isn't from this site - there is an affiliation but nobody here is profiting off of test kits, we are just telling you what works) you already spent a ton for nothing, go ahead and get the kit to actually solve the problem and take charge of your pool - and if you do this you may never have a green pool ever again. easily worth $100.

Thank you all for your responses. I absolutely don't mean to offend anyone, the test kit suggested here amounts to $100 while I see a lot cheaper kits on Amazon, its just that I spent a lot on chemicals in the last month and I'm being wary about spend more. I'm sure someone in my shoes can understand.
I totally get your point and I don't mind buying it when I see some results. I'm new to this forum and you guys can understand my situation too especially I haven't had any experience with this forum. Please help me through this first experience and I won't hesitate to buy the kit.
The problem is we can’t tell you what to do without knowing your water chemistry. And pool store testing has often been shown to be unreliable based on numerous reports here so we simply don’t trust it as a rule.

Also I can’t give you your first experience directly. But what about mine? While I’ve never had a green pool like yours, the advice here has kept my pool looking like this:
full

It looks like this all the time. Well, it often gets leaves but the water is always this clear. And this isn’t me. This is everybody here:

The test kit is the key part here. Unfortunately to clear the algae out SLAM process requires the FAS-DPD test. And unfortunately yes, kits with this test aren’t cheap.

I was in your situation. I spent over $1000 first year, how could I spend another $100+ on a kit. It was the best money spent, especially with the stirrer. The biggest issue that affects most of us in the beginning is that we've used too much chlorine pucks (Trichlor) and by the time we realize what we've been doing is wrong its too late. The important thing is to stick with one plan. Don't mix pool store and TFP method. Everyone here just wants to help you get to swimming.

Reactions: crimson avenger
Gonna carbon copy what everyone else is saying, but will add that everyone in my household knows how important daily testing is to keeping our pool absolutely crystal clear and algae free. This is the very best source on the internet for achieving the lowest cost, best possible outcome every. Single. Time. I have saved so much money by listening to these fine people that I became a Gold supporter this year, and wanted to give back to this awesome community. Looking forward to seeing what your true numbers are! In my case, my CYA was 90 and I had been erroneously using the silly test strips until I had a full-blown green pond. SLAM process brought it under control, and my CYA is finally in the normal range so my FC levels are also normal and lower and my cost to maintain the pool has plummeted also. Welcome aboard, you'll know what we are talking about once you get that test kit.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I will add that if you choose to go with the TFP SLAM method, you have to trust the process and stick with it by the book. If you deviate too far from the SLAM process and given advice it may not work. You have a mess, it will take time to fix. Build confidence and info by reading other stories on the forum before you start.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're absolutely right, I already spent a lot at these stores and results were close to zero. To be clear, I got 10 gallons, I added 2 gallons for initial, unless this forum recommends a lot more, I was planning to add more in a phased manner. If I'm thinking incorrectly, please advise. I can add the rest 8 if that's how algae should be attacked.
Just want to make sure you aware as I didnt think it was clear in the thread. Laundry bleach works fine. I buy pool essentials in the beginning of the year and once that disappears I move over to Great Value brand bleach. Its the same thing.

Thank you to this forum for instilling a bit of confidence to get the algae sucker out of the pool. I will share the results via TF-100 very soon and post it here.
What you’re seeing is a pool (pun intended!) of people ready to help you get your pool crystal clear. If you stick with the advice, not only will this pool of people clear your pool, but you’ll learn how to keep it TFP clear!

I became a gold supporter because of the help and resources I’ve received here, every penny was worth supporting this community and I’m thinking of providing more. Get your pool clear and see if you don’t feel the same way!

Reactions: ParB
You'll find that when you go with outside sources other than TFP, you'll get 1,000 different ways to clear your pool and stores that would sell you the sun, stars and the moon and still not get a balanced pool. We here at TFP will never do that. We want you to buy the cheapest chemicals on the market and have the cleanest most sanitary pool on the block. You'll note in every single algae post here at TFP that the answers are always the same. Why? Because it works! Your friend did you a huge favor by sharing this treasure trove of information with you.

You're going to love the TF100. As soon as you get it, come back with a full set of test results. Hopefully you bought the speed stir because it's all that!!! :mrgreen:

Thank you to this forum for instilling a bit of confidence to get the algae sucker out of the pool. I will share the results via TF-100 very soon and post it here.
Awesome. In the meantime, add 1 gallon of liquid chlorine per day.

That will help keep the algae from taking off and lessen your SLAM duration. Once you get your test kit, post up your results. The most important 1st test is CYA since the CYA drives the target number for your chlorine (FC). Also, if your CYA is too high, you will need to drain some water and refill to get that in line.

Hey remoking and belated Welcome !! You’ve already got oodles of folks willing to happily guide you. For free. That’s what we do here. Most of us fixed our problem and stick around to pay it forward. You’ll love it too eventuality.

Here is my vote for the TF-100. While it’s a hard sell to somebody who has gotten here the hard way, being fleeced and lied to, every last step of the way……

I want to discuss what happens to every last person who gets the kit. Once they see what it can do, when the time comes they literally race out to replace it, coming back to brag how they pulled the trigger 2 months early and caught the $30 off spring sale.

Nobody. Not one member on record has ever come back to report that they were unhappy with the test kit could do. The pool store will make you spend a lot to have little results. We ask you to spend a little to have huge results and cheap generic chemical purchases from that moment on. We will also all help you every step of the way.

totally understand and the same way of thinking that kept me from (that and what I thought was the complexity of the tests) doing it for years. I know you don't know us, but you're going to need to make a decision which way to go. I promise that if you listen to these folks and follow their advice, you won't be disappointed. Just remember, it only works if you're all in. That half and half stuff never works and will only cause more frustration and cost more money. Buy the good kit.

are there any coupon codes available for new customers?
I paid $200 for my taylor kit a few months ago for my new pool because I'm in Canada and we don't get things cheap.

Believe me when a newbie tells you this: you can't do anything without the kit. You can dump whatever you want into the green pool but none of the great chemistry folks here can help you without the kit.

Sorry to sound like a debbie downer but that is fact.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.