Complete green algae

remoking

Jul 12, 2021
Lewisville, TX
Hi everyone, I'm new this forum and I learnt about this forum through a friend and I was hoping you guys can help me with pool situation.

My pool has turned completely green algae and here are the things that I've tried so far:

Pool size - 15,000 gallons
Pump running time - 12 - 16 hours
Pool cartridge - replaced with new one's just 30 days ago

1st water test and recommended treatment - 128oz muriatic acid and 15lb of pool shock, 1lb of stabilizer over course of 4 days; the pool started to turn cloudy. we'd to travel for a week and the water had turned completely green again. Going out of town for a week imbalanced the chemicals to a large extent.

2nd water test and recommended 7/10/21 - 64oz muriatic acid, 4 lbs of stabilizer, algaecide 2 gallons, and 15lbs of pool shock over course of 4 days, the water doesn't seem to change the color at all. it feels like algae has been observing all chemicals irrespective of quantity. The near by stores are out of Liquid chlorine, and I've already spent a lot of shock (yes you can imagine 30lbs of shock). I don't mind calling pool services, if this something I can fix it by purchasing chemicals, I want to give a try. if not, I've to break the bank to get additional service. Please help me out.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-07-12 at 11.41.52 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-12 at 11.41.52 AM.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 40
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-07-12 at 11.41.51 AM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-12 at 11.41.51 AM (1).jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 42
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-07-12 at 11.41.51 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-12 at 11.41.51 AM.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 40
What are you using to test with? Taylor kit? TFP Test Kit? Pool store results?
This forum is great in that once you get your pool clear by following the SLAM method and you maintain it with just plain chlorine and MA then you will likely never need to "shock" your pool ever again.

My suggestion is to immediately add a couple of gallons of pool chlorine and order a proper test kit like the TF 100. Once that arrives, run a full spectrum of tests and post the results here in this format:
FC XX
pH XX
TA XX
CH XX
CYA XX

Once we have those numbers from a trusted test kit we can attack the problem.

Reactions: mknauss
the water was tested via pool store. The stores near me don't have liquid chlorine, can you please suggest names for pure chlorine that you're mentioning? I've pool chlorine tablets, if that's what you meant.

stores near me are out of liquid chlorine, can you please suggest alternate for liquid chlorine.

Do you have a Walmart, Lowes Ace Hardware, Ocean State Job Lot, Home Depot, any of these stores around you? They sell liquid chlorine between 8-10% or 12.5%

So pool store tests are unreliable so we can't really trust them. The most important thing you can do long term is get a test like I linked in the last post and start to learn how to properly test your own pool.

If you have chlorine tablets, those most likely also contain CYA and just make your CYA continually climb. I suspect you likely have a high amount of CYA which in turn means you need more and more and more chlorine to properly sanitize your pool. It's a vicious cycle.

I have a salt water pool so I don't usually have to buy chlorine but when I do, my local feed store has HTH liquid chlorine that comes in a box of 2 I believe. Like this. Clede's response is right too.

My advice would be to really try to find proper liquid pool chlorine and buy a bunch of it. Follow the SLAM process and be patient. I have seen it be only a few days of SLAMing a pool to almost a month. Chlorinate, brush, vacuum, repeat. Once your pool passes all of the SLAM criteria, then you really stop going to the pool store and spending all kinds of money on chemicals you don't need.

Try:

1 Stop Pool Supply in Plano, Coppell or Frisco.
Pinch A Penny on Independence in Plano.
Since you can't see liquid chlorine stock for HD and Lowe's online....I'd call around. I
found 6 gallons a week ago at Lowe's Preston/Geo. Bush.
Ditto for Walmart. The one at Plano Pkwy & Tollroad had some a few days ago.

Reactions: Newdude
All of the Walmart around us have hundreds of gallons of the Pool Essentials. You are going to need a lot more than 2 gallons to clear it up.

To properly follow the advice here you are going to need to get your own test kit and follow the SLAM process to kill the algae. Ok, I'll add a 3rd step in stopping going to the pool store. They love selling people in your position hundreds of $ worth of chemicals for a green pool, when all they need is $40 worth of liquid chlorine.

You're absolutely right, I already spent a lot at these stores and results were close to zero. To be clear, I got 10 gallons, I added 2 gallons for initial, unless this forum recommends a lot more, I was planning to add more in a phased manner. If I'm thinking incorrectly, please advise. I can add the rest 8 if that's how algae should be attacked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I'm thinking incorrectly, please advise.
You are best off waiting for a proper test kit so you have real chemistry data. If you like, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine per day in the evening with the pump running.

Thank you all for your responses. I absolutely don't mean to offend anyone, the test kit suggested here amounts to $100 while I see a lot cheaper kits on Amazon, its just that I spent a lot on chemicals in the last month and I'm being wary about spend more. I'm sure someone in my shoes can understand.

Yep, we see it hundreds of times a year. People are at their wits end and have tried pool store advice, family advice, etc. Each of those trips cost lots of $ and we get that you can be leery of a bunch of internet people asking you to spend more.

If it makes you feel any better, the pool test kit is the most expensive thing to buy for your pool and will pay for itself in the fact that you do not have to walk into a pool store again. I get 100% of my pool supplies from Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot and each of those trips is well under $50 since I just buy liquid chlorine ($4 gallon), muratic acid ( $5 gallon), and the occasional bag of calcium or CYA at $10 each.

I totally get your point and I don't mind buying it when I see some results. I'm new to this forum and you guys can understand my situation too especially I haven't had any experience with this forum. Please help me through this first experience and I won't hesitate to buy the kit.

I totally get your point and I don't mind buying it when I see some results. I'm new to this forum and you guys can understand my situation too especially I haven't had any experience with this forum. Please help me through this first experience and I won't hesitate to buy the kit.
Here is one of my favorites, but you can find tons of other stories if you use the search function above (use the google button) and search for "green pool" "help" etc.

Trust your friend who sent you to TFP. The people here are fantastic at helping get your pool from green to sparkling. But in order to do that, you need to have a good test kit. I know $100 sounds like a lot, but it will be the best money you ever spend on your pool. I can guarantee it's the best money I ever spent on mine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.