Dallas_James

Aug 6, 2020
Dallas/TX
Our pool is 1 year old. The plaster company is coming over tomorrow to do a full acid clean and power wash to fix staining issues that occurred during the build out/curing so I need to drain it today. I found a few threads in here and read, but didn’t find what I was looking for (and learned a few things). With temps in the 60’s today, in Dallas, do I need to be concerned with my pool jumping out of the ground? I thought I could just drain the pool using my equipment and pool drain, but after reading some threads I don’t know if I can? Any guidance would help. Also, anything I need to know on the refill, since plaster is cured and this won’t necessarily be a “start up” refill?

Doesn’t Dallas get a lot of rain? Wouldn’t you run the risk of your pool being pushed up by ground water? Have you asked these questions of the company doing the work on your pool? Sorry, I don’t have answers for you just questions.

Our pool is 1 year old. The plaster company is coming over tomorrow to do a full acid clean and power wash to fix staining issues that occurred during the build out/curing so I need to drain it today. I found a few threads in here and read, but didn’t find what I was looking for (and learned a few things). With temps in the 60’s today, in Dallas, do I need to be concerned with my pool jumping out of the ground? I thought I could just drain the pool using my equipment and pool drain, but after reading some threads I don’t know if I can? Any guidance would help. Also, anything I need to know on the refill, since plaster is cured and this won’t necessarily be a “start up” refill?
Since they are requesting it, maybe ask them to do it so you avoid being liable in case it goes wrong. Though I’m told that it’s not very typical for this to happen in California, not sure about your particular situation.

Air temperature will affect wether or not the plaster will crack and/or delaminate from the gunite if left empty for an extended period. This is usually only an issue in very hot conditions and not likely to cause problems at this time of year in Dallas. The concern about popping or floating the pool is related to high ground water and that can happen at any temperature. If you have high ground water and drain the pool it may float and rise up out of the ground. If you are unsure about ground water levels in your area you can try contacting your county water authority to see if they have info on ground water. You also want to be careful draining just after heavy, prolonged rains that may temporarily raise the ground water levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.