Comparison of Kits

funinthesun-pool

Mar 26, 2023
Canada
I've had the pool for 3 years, but in terms of testing I would only go off of test strips and the pool stores results. This coming season I wanted to do the testing myself to achieve greater accuracy. It's tough to find kits in Canada but I have found the Taylor K-1004 for fairly cheap. Would I be able to get away with this kit?

Welcome to the forum.
Where in Canada? If reasonably near the US border, a proper test kit can be shipped to a mail drop on the US side and you drive over and pick it up.

The K1004 does not have the FAS-DPD test for FC/CC nor the CYA test or CH test. . So it is not a very comprehensive test kit.

I was wondering if the K-1004 will work for accurate testing.
No. The methods we teach at TFP require a complete test kit to precisely test

pH
FC
CC
CH
CYA

The K-1004 does NOT test CYA, CH, nor the high levels of chlorine that may be necessary.

Three kits work very well with our methods

1. TF-100 from TFTestkits
2. K-2006C From Taylor
3. TFPro from TFTestkits

The K-2006 is just really expensive. Do you think that using the pool store testing for only the CYA and the CH would be okay. I’ve never had any problems with my pool so far using the pool store testing.
You need the FAS-DPD as well. The kit may last for a couple years and you can just get the refills after that which are only $50US right now.

I’m not too far from the boarder but would prefer to avoid the hassle of going across the boarder and duties and all the rest. I was wondering if the K-1004 will work for accurate testing.
You can go to Buffalo and fill up with gas and save enough money to pay for the trip. To my knowledge there is no duty. Others have never reported having to declare it.

Reactions: proavia

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That’s true I never considered the cost of all of the unnecessary chemicals from over the years. I’ll try to get my hands on a K2006 for a decent price. Thanks
Better yet - if coming to the states - order a TF100 or TF-Pro and have it shipped to a mail drop in Buffalo or Niagara Falls (or a friends/relatives house).

You can make a day of it and even enjoy lunch at Ted's Hot Dogs (several locations in the greater Buffalo - Niagara area.
And partake of the cheaper gas prices as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.