Comm Port Lost

DLBuda

Sep 1, 2019
Providence, Rhode Island
That is what appeared on the display of my one-year-old Pentair Ultratemp heat pump. 3 days ago I looked at the pump's control panel and it was not backlit. I went to the breaker box and there was a tripped breaker. I reset the breaker and returned to the pump. There was power to the unit and everything seemed fine. I turned it on . . . everything seemed fine . . . the fan was working. I noted that the water temperature was 84 degrees and the thermostat was set ay 87 degrees. I came back a couple of hours later and everything still seemed just fine but when I looked at the water temperature it was still at 84 degrees. I stuck my hand into the pool in front of the return and the water coming into the pool was the same temperature as the water already in the pool. I turned the heat pump off and left it off until the next day. When I returned I was not able to get the pump to start and the words "Comm Port Lost" appeared on the control panel display. Ideas?

DL,

What display said "Com Port Lost"??? If the pump does not see the com port it normally just has the standard pump display... When connected to an automation system it normally says "Display not Active"

Do you have an EasyTouch or automation or is the pump running by itself?

Thanks,

Jim R.

The pump is operating strictly on a manual basis, only on when I go to the control panel and turn it on. Same is true for the skimmer pump. I believe that both pumps are capable of being programmed and operate on a schedule, etc. I do not possess that kind of understanding of their functioning to attempt that. Both pumps are new as of summer 2018, in fact only the last half of the summer of 2018. In the case of the original install 10 years ago, the man who designed and built the pool was. very unfortunately, killed in a car crash just 2 weeks after he finished our pool. Because he was basically a one-man operation we had no opportunity for follow up or training on the pool, its equipment and how to properly use it. While not as drastic, shortly after the Pentair authorized company installed the new heat pump and skimmer pump in late July 2018, a serious family situation caused the owner to close up shop and move out of state so once again I've kind of been left to fend for myself.

Is "Com Port Lost” displayed on the pool pump or the heat pump? It is not clear from your posts which “pump” you are referring to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.