Combined Chorine after Tropical Storm

Dec 5, 2018
Palm City, FL
I have recently added an IC40 SWG to my pool. Everything has gone great and outside of having to constantly having to manage pH due to the amount of aeration the pool gets from the infinity edge, the chemistry has been relatively easy to maintain. Combined chlorine has never been present in the pool until today. I tested the pool today with my Taylor Test Kit and received the following results
Chlorine 16 (I supplemented prior to the tropical storm to compensate if we lost power, (we didn’t))
CC 1.0
TA. 60
pH 7.6
CH 320
CYA. 70
My question is this. Is it possible that the CC is due to the storm with debris and rain being introduced to the pool? If so, will it regulate itself out or do I need to do a SLAM? I’d hate to have to do so as storms in South Florida are fairly common And I’d be SLAMming quite a bit. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would keep an eye on it, but with an elevated FC level and no visible algae or cloudy water (I'm assuming since you didnt mention it) you should be fine. If you are in doubt you can do an OCLT.

I would keep an eye on it, but with an elevated FC level and no visible algae or cloudy water (I'm assuming since you didnt mention it) you should be fine. If you are in doubt you can do an OCLT.
You are correct, the water is perfectly clear. My plan is to do the OCLT tonight and go from there. This is my 1st time managing my pool without a service and I don’t want to get in a chemical battle if I don’t have to. Thanks.

Ok, so I performed the OCLT and only lost 0.5 overnight yet still have combined chlorine of 1.0 (I suspect less as 1 drop got rid of 90%+ of the pink). Is there any way possible it is just the contaminates from the storm and it will regulate out or do I need to SLAM? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

You are most likely good. The higher FC combined with all the organics blowing into your pool is most likely causing the higher CC. Also we have had a big lack of sunlight to burn off the CC. Keep your FC elevated for a while and you should be in good shape.

Reactions: goldmaes
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.