Combined Chloramines -- Effective Disinfectant?

May 6, 2015
Chickasha, OK
I'm about 300% sure this has been discussed elsewhere (with lots of helpful and insightful input from chem geek, I'm sure), but I'm on mobile right now and am having trouble searching...

Our local government uses chloramine(s) -- made by mixing chlorine and ammonia -- to disinfect our water supply. We just received a notice that they will be flushing our water supply city-wide and, at the same time, "sterilizing" the system with free chlorine, which is "much stronger and more effective than chloramines." After 30 days, they will switch back to chloramines.

As a whopping 3-summer veteran of TFP, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this situation. If I'm not mistaken (and I very well may be -- just ask my wife), aren't CCs nothing more than useless remnants of FC after it's done its job killing anything organic in the water?

I know for sure that a high level of CC in my pool won't do anything to defeat, fend off, or even prevent an algae bloom -- only FC is good for that.

So... How are CCs effective at eliminating organics and disinfecting my drinking water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.