Com link error between IC20 and Easytouch After Intelliph dispenses acid

Here's another MO you might consider that I haven't yet mentioned. It's only slightly related to the acid/chlorine issue. If your ET has any available schedules left. you can add one more. Remember, I mentioned that the IpH, as a safety precaution, only dispenses a small amount of acid per cycle. This is to minimize the possibility of dispensing too much acid at once. Without the IpH, there's nothing to keep the acid pump from emptying the tank except the "off" component of your one-minute acid schedule. If someone inadvertently uses your ET's newly programmed acid button, and leaves it on, the acid pump will drain your tank into the pool.

So with an available schedule, you can create an egg timer schedule for your new acid circuit, with a setting of one minute. Or two, or three, whatever. Some short duration. With that in place, if you push the acid button, accidentally or intentionally, the pump will dispense acid for only that duration. The egg timer will turn off that circuit after the assigned duration. This will serve as a safety cap, but also could be used for manual injection, similar to the way the IpH had a manual injection function: press the acid button and you'll get a minute "squirt." Of course, if you use it for that purpose while the IC is producing, then you're back to wondering if that matters or not...

If I remember correctly, a timer schedule overrides an egg timer assigned to the same circuit. You could test this to confirm. So say you have a timer schedule to inject acid for two minutes. But you have an egg timer schedule that only allows one minute. When you turn on the acid button manually, the egg timer will turn it off one minute later. But if the ET schedule turns on the acid pump, it'll run for two minutes. I didn't test that, because my egg timer duration is the same as my scheduled duration.

Keep in mind that if you want to schedule your acid to inject more than once a day, only that first shot will be in the IC's startup sequence window. Any others will go off while the IC is active. Depending on your IC's output setting, there's still the chance that the acid will inject while the IC is in standby mode, but I can't think of a way to take advantage of the IC's periodic "off" cycle to solve for the acid/chlorine dilemma.

So between the scheduling just after pool circuit startup, and an egg timer, you can mimic to some extent some of the IpH's safety functions.
Startup sequence could do it. But then I won’t be able to over-engineer a solution! If I can expand ET4 to ET8, I can get my actuated water feature back and put the IC on a separate relay. I got some soldering equipment and practice perf boards on the way :)

I like your egg timer idea to avoid accidentally dumping a tank of acid. My old-old IPH used to do that and boy would I get frustrated when I was dumping in massive amounts of soda ash.

Schedule the acid injection one minute after the pool circuit goes on.
Been there done that, hat and T-shirt. Do not recommend it, it affects the calibration sequence and salt would read wrong(cant remember high or low). Decided to do it 1 hr after start of Pool program. Since i have the SWG at 20% what would be the odds of the acid pump running while producing Cl?

Been there done that, hat and T-shirt. Do not recommend it, it affects the calibration sequence and salt would read wrong(cant remember high or low). Decided to do it 1 hr after start of Pool program. Since i have the SWG at 20% what would be the odds of the acid pump running while producing Cl?
Felipe, is your acid injector mounted before or after your IntelliChlor?

Before as per Pentair manual on my home pool. The ranch pool is placed after.
And in that case your warning would be sound. But the OP has placed his injector after his IntelliChlor, so, in theory, it should not affect the IC's startup process (see last paragraph of post #99 above).

Reactions: Flying Tivo
So, I'm not sure if I shot myself in the foot with my modifications or if a storm that came through the area did it, but I'm pretty sure my motherboard is toast. One of the relays stays on no matter if the button is active or not. And my IC power center is not outputting any power even when relay is closed. The lights on the power center chip are never on, but I guess that chip receives power through the motherboard, so maybe IC power center is fine... not sure. I looked at motherboard visually and could find one element that looks like it has some kind of oil leak or something on it.

See the U2 element. Buy new motherboard? Undo modifications? I'm worried because I don't know the root cause here.

Attachments

• IMG_1626.jpeg
    IMG_1626.jpeg
    454.5 KB · Views: 8

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know the relays all work because when I switch them to a different aux they fire. When on filter pump or aux 2, nothing. Should I still check voltage or does that answer your question?

I'm just trying to help your fix your board.

Keep tracing power to the relay back until you find out where it is failing.

I'm just trying to help your fix your board.

Keep tracing power to the relay back until you find out where it is failing.
Is it possible to fix the board itself? I forgot to mention, aux 2 always closes relay no matter if pressed or not. Pump filter relay always keeps relay open. Buttons don't do anything on those 2. All other buttons/relays work.

edit: Any thoughts on the observation of what looks like oil on the board element? Is that nothing?

I'm so sorry to hear about this new issue. I don't see to what the motherboard belongs to. That should be in your signature.

Not that it really matters in terms of what I could help with. I don't know anything about Pentair motherboards. So I don't know what U2 does, or what it is supposed to look like. I sent mine to someone else to work on, and unfortunately that someone else can't look at yours, because he is away from his work bench for the season.

The surge board does not get its power from the mother board. The motherboard and surge board are powered by separate transformers. If your controller is wired correctly, the surge board transformer, and so the surge board, are powered on when the pool relay is closed. The motherboard controls that relay, but is not actually powering the surge board. Slight distinction. Just an FYI, as it sounds like you figured out the IC circuitry is fine.

I don't personally have any motherboard troubleshooting tips, other than to reset it. If it is getting power and not doing what it is supposed to do, then perhaps a full factory reset would be something to try. You'll lose all your programming, though. You might take photos of all your various settings screens before you reset it, so you have some clues about how to restore those settings after a reset. We'll have to ask someone else how to do the full reset, however, because I don't even know that much about Pentair MBs.

So I had to replace MB. Local guy who I tried to repair it with said lightning had damaged some capacitors and an integrated circuit and he couldn't get his hands on the parts, plus there was no guarantee he'd be able to fix it even if he did get those parts. So $600 later I have a new ET8. Everything is working as it should. Final config - I brought the ~24VDC from IC Power Center back to the panel and split it, one set going back to IC Power Center to hook back into cable going to the IC and the other going up to a new relay that operates the acid pump. I did add an extra delay relay after the ET relay (link). That way I can adjust the acid additions in smaller increments. My initial setup is for the acid pump is to run 15 sec, off for 45, and loop 4 times max. That way I can adjust the ET schedule between 1-4min and actually get 15-60sec of acid addition.

I like the delay relay idea. I may steal that. So far one minute increments has been working for me. And I figured if they didn't I would just vary the dilution of acid in the tank (currently I use 31% acid, 1:1 with water). But a delay timer would be far less trouble than trying to figure out the perfect dilution ratio. I still use my IntellipH controller for most of the year, so I can dial that in as needed. It's only the two or three winter months that I run acid dispensing with my EasyTouch scheduling.

I took the guts of my Power Center out of the external box they came in and mounted them all inside my EasyTouch cabinet. That simplified the wiring, and got rid of the Power Center box off the wall. If you ever want to pursue that, it's not too much trouble.

Glad you got everything back up and running!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.