Color of CL test has turned orange

Jun 28, 2010
California
After the pool being out of commission for 2 1/2 weeks, because of pump and a leaky filter, We finally installed a new Pentair pump and filter. Thanks to this board. :goodjob:

While installing the system, We noticed the water was turning to a greenish, yellow color and also saw algae buildup on the side of the pool. So I decided to add 4, 1lb. bags of shock to the pool. About a day after that, we started running the system and getting it balanced to a PH=8.2, CL=4 and BR=8. I added 1/2 gal of acid to the pool. Next day the levels became CL=2.5, BR=5 and pH=7.5.

Now it was time to clean the pool. While vacuuming, I noticed very dark spots at bottom of the pool, and I figured it was black algae. I started brushing them but they would not go away.

I went to the local pool store, with a scraped sample of the black spots. They confirmed that it was black algae. and they suggested to spread this product called Algi-Ban, and after about 2 hours to wire brush the infested area.
After brushing the black spots, the color of spots turned into a 30% shade of what it was before. It seemed that they were going away.

Today as I'm doing a CL level test the color of test has turned into an orange color. CL=Orange and pH=7.1

What did I do wrong? Why Orange? :roll:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.