Coleman Vista Set Up and Upgrades ---Pool Newbie

cg524

May 5, 2020
Eastern PA
I am a complete newbie, never owned a pool. I am considering getting the Walmart Coleman Vista. I want to set it up right from the beginning to ensure it stays clean.
  1. What type of filter do you recommend? Sand or Salt? Why?
  2. Did you add a skimmer?
  3. Overall, what's the best way to keep it clean?
  4. Do you recommend a solar cover for this pool?
  5. Anything else I need to know?
Thank you!

1. Filters are cartridge, sand, DE. (Salt isn't a filter. I think maybe you are thinking of a salt water chlorine generator, which is different than a filter) I have a sand filter. I like it bc it's easy to use. I backwash the filter at beginning of season, and I"m good to go. Many people have cartridge filters and like those as well. Honestly, I went with the sand filter bc that is what came with the pump I wanted to get, but I do like it.

2. I have an over the wall intex skimmer. I've been thinking of adding the in wall skimmer. I think those work better to keep the surface water clean.

3. To keep it clean the most important think is to maintain the proper chemistry. (read through pool school on this site) I have a cheap intex rechargeable vacuum that I've used the past 2 years to get dirt off the bottom of the pool. A net will work to skim the surface to remove leaves and bugs.

4. I do use a solar cover. The main purpose is to help the pool maintain the heat it gained during the day. Once the night time temps start staying high (usually in June where I live) I don't use the cover as much.

5. Read pool school, especially The ABC's of water chemistry. Get a good test kit.
Best of luck with your new pool!

Reactions: kmandeville
1. Filters are cartridge, sand, DE. (Salt isn't a filter. I think maybe you are thinking of a salt water chlorine generator, which is different than a filter) I have a sand filter. I like it bc it's easy to use. I backwash the filter at beginning of season, and I"m good to go. Many people have cartridge filters and like those as well. Honestly, I went with the sand filter bc that is what came with the pump I wanted to get, but I do like it.

2. I have an over the wall intex skimmer. I've been thinking of adding the in wall skimmer. I think those work better to keep the surface water clean.

3. To keep it clean the most important think is to maintain the proper chemistry. (read through pool school on this site) I have a cheap intex rechargeable vacuum that I've used the past 2 years to get dirt off the bottom of the pool. A net will work to skim the surface to remove leaves and bugs.

4. I do use a solar cover. The main purpose is to help the pool maintain the heat it gained during the day. Once the night time temps start staying high (usually in June where I live) I don't use the cover as much.

5. Read pool school, especially The ABC's of water chemistry. Get a good test kit.
Best of luck with your new pool!
How did you install your intex skimmer? can you share your set up?

I like my sand filter a LOT. So easy.

I installed a thru wall skimmer and between that and my auto cleaner that l leave in all the time, it stays pretty clean. I may have to net a few bugs out when I get in, but this is Florida. There are always bugs!

I don’t use a cover.

By far, the most important thing is to follow the advice of the previous poster - get a test kit, read the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, and learn how to maintain your pool the TFP way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.