Coleman Pool W/ Intex Sand Filter (Conversion Questions)

May 14, 2013
Hello All,

I purchased an 18' x 48" Coleman above ground pool this past weekend. I got it all setup, level, filled etc. (Link to Pool)

After doing some research I found that an upgraded pump is highly preferred which makes a lot of sense and will save my some electricity with the saved hours I will need to run the new one.

The pump I purchased is the Intex 28651EG 3000 GPH Sand Filter Pump with GFCI (110-120 Volt) from Amazon..

I have seen many people on Amazon reviews or forums ask about converting the fittings to get these two playing nicely together.

My questions are:

1. What fittings will I need to attach the existing hoses on the pool to the new pump?
  2. Are the original inlet hoses (2 of them) too narrow / flimsy for this type of pump?

I have an Intex wall mount surface skimmer coming as well that I will be hooking up.
I'm sure that will have connection issues of its own.

Anyway, just looking for some advice on the connections I will end up needing to try and prepare myself now so I can get this all done at one time and not have to wait for parts.

This depends on which pump came with your pool. If the current pump uses the screw on Intex style hoses, your new system will hook right up as is.

BTW- Intex & Coleman are the same pool.

This depends on which pump came with your pool. If the current pump uses the screw on Intex style hoses, your new system will hook right up as is.

BTW- Intex & Coleman are the same pool.

Thank you, they are in fact the screw-on style hoses on their cheap standard pump.

I assume I would leave the hoses from the inlets and only connect the pump to the screw on piece at the T joint.

Are the standard hoses for those inlets strong enough for a pump like this? I just don't want them to collapse on them self if the suction is too much and cause damage.

Does it have the two outlets...that have the narrower hoses that then have a T to the big hose for the pump? Ours did, and I never could figure out how to make it work with those and the through wall skimmer. I plugged those narrow outlets, ignoring them, cut for the wall skimmer and then the rest of the hoses connected straight to the Intex pump. Probably not the best, but all I could figure out.

Does it have the two outlets...that have the narrower hoses that then have a T to the big hose for the pump? Ours did, and I never could figure out how to make it work with those and the through wall skimmer. I plugged those narrow outlets, ignoring them, cut for the wall skimmer and then the rest of the hoses connected straight to the Intex pump. Probably not the best, but all I could figure out.

Yeah they are like 2 clear hoses that push onto the "T" and then push onto the nubs on the pool and fastened with a plastic compression fitting.

I am about to install my pump today and still remain a little nervous about using those clear tubes on this pump. I was in a pool store today and saw those tubes and they said for up to 1,000 gph pumps. Mine is like 3,000 so I am hoping that they aren't going to collapse on them self under suction..

I use the Intex screw on hoses with my 1.5HP Hayward pump, no issues so far.

View attachment 61975

These are the hoses I was referring to - they are two narrow ones that connect to a "T" and then from there is the standard screw-on hoses.

I just don't know if I need to upgrade those two clear ones or what I would even put in their place since they dont screw on to anything, they are just pushed onto the nub of the pool itself.

Share.Pho.to | This photo set was shared via Share.Pho.to

Use the hoses and get it figured out where you like stuff, measure and go to a farm store or something similar and pick up some suction hoses. The biggest risk of those hoses is them breaking due to movement and sun damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.