I’m out of town and we were about to hit 25F for around 48hrs. My wife doesn’t know how to work any thing so i was able to get her to enable cold temp pump run and set the heater to the lowest setting possible. Definitely going to cost me some cash but better than pool damage was my thinking. If I was home I would of figured out a better solution but I’m not and I didn’t...Thank you for the post, appreciate it.

Corpus Christi here. I survived the two days of mid 20sF by running the pump and heating the pool. Now I’ve lost electricity, the temps are above freezing now but are suppose to get back down mid 20s Thursday. I’m not sure what to do. I’m going to shut off the power supply, cover the pad with towels and a comforter. I don’t know how to drain anything yet, I’ve never had to...what else can I do to avoid damage to equipment or pipes

The bottom of the filter should have a bigger drain plug on the bottom and an air release gauge on the top. The pump will have 2 small thumb screw like drain plugs (or more). Also remove the lid. The heater will have drain plug(s) inside similar to ones on the pump. You can also remove the SWG until the water is gone there too.

Reactions: dsilchenstedt
I have a different view on this. I know that 25 is really low for Corpus, but your high is 40+ degrees. Is your power going on/off like most of the state or do you have an outage? If it is just going on and off, I'm not sure I would mess with fully winterizing for a few hours below freezing. Your pipes will not instantly freeze once it hits 32 so you have some wiggle room. I would suggest tarping the equipment or protecting any exposed pipes that would be the first to freeze if the power is out.

Here is my CYA caveat. I was fighting to keep my pool open but had to pull the plug yesterday due to the constant power outages. For reference our pool was fine with the air temps in the mid 20's. Teens we stated seeing some ice on the surface but the pump was fine. Once we got into the single digits and the power was off more than it was on was when I had to pull the plug. Good luck and hope that helps.

Reactions: dsilchenstedt
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.