Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
My winter cover is finally being installed today. My pool was winterized about 3 weeks ago. I have been scooping leaves since the close. Today I did a huge batch and got just about everything out but wanted to run my robot (9650iq) one last time as I can see a lot of dirt on the bottom. Water temp is probably around 50 right now. No issues right?

In the instructions for my Dolphin E10 it says something about not using it in water below 41 degrees.
As well as not storing someplace it would be under 41 degrees air temp.

I wonder what that is about?

But it also says not to have chlorine above 4ppm so maybe it doesn't really matter as long as it does
not freeze solid in water.

The robot did a fantastic job but the pool cover company never showed up. Still could come today maybe but no one is answering when I call. So I'll have to re-clean it all tomorrow or whenever they decide to show up I guess. Robot has a 3 year warranty managed by the local store where I got it.

Of course right after I wrote that they got here.

I don't think this cover is worth $3400.

AO39jUKpqdGUAygMKiodtp35YsRoas0_-OKBhm7Bz6VCiXUBwzUpD6Tc3Wl6wjrg4nph8c753niRrTWfctpFzSnJM54VDQI_UTamrizzm1TjSIdk1qOJiJllUwGLOwa5FoCmslRXD5w7m8xMxtlPB-Pg7jFQLZ94G3hcv8KcSOjTh_frkWR5swTRB7b9UzHj0A6tedS0Ph-zw-eEmZ_zkfoeaqIWFwHNHCQFLD28ypgZXsjPQIWPyMnawLW3MamSPleE0ds4ikP6PlBwL6_08obtyyCd1j3kbxKRByAUjAj59pTpR9tFdqWoRaizRO2nDytbVwzJeExwcauCFvBJF1jrz8pXTR_fEAs-yfuyx8zWGbH-Yp7i9HRDf3ppWtKXw-v9qdvND7x_pzASesejcikYNyStZGeN-zjeiY1Qrykr2fOKhRKwLZFBfTc7SRVMn5C6eq0RjDa0mP0Qbaa-iskpjsb_zMHihccP6L7Dbfgl_Vm79TB8Mq7a8lf-6ap_wU9gu5QW4A2QduIPwHTgJp_nEtpOWugxGShvIZI-QoVPZ0OqqLmKQhJ-bn3QeuWW8Oy-9LMD6fUYeraJyI9XQ7XS5XOJYPr6Hs9f07XYtI-AwNq1lrBgL6pl3kfVfEES2JTP79EVXIbRT7KNAjrpQGeQDTj4vINYn78=w1279-h960-no

All of the robots have little motors in them and that little motor has a couple of little bearings and some lubricant in it.

As temps get lower, these lubricants which were not formulated to work in cold temperatures don't do work as intended. They thicken up and lose their viscosity and ultimately, you can damage your robot if you run it and the lubrication in it doesn't do its job.

So, that's what's up with low temps vs robots. Its just not a good idea to go outside of the manufacturer recommendations.

All of the robots have little motors in them and that little motor has a couple of little bearings and some lubricant in it.

As temps get lower, these lubricants which were not formulated to work in cold temperatures don't do work as intended. They thicken up and lose their viscosity and ultimately, you can damage your robot if you run it and the lubrication in it doesn't do its job.

So, that's what's up with low temps vs robots. Its just not a good idea to go outside of the manufacturer recommendations.

How did I not think of that?......seems very obvious now.

Thanks Dave. Makes sense.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.