Coffee is for closers!!

Jul 23, 2017
Rochester NY
So, I want to close my own pool this year. I have read the thread on closing and I believe I have a good grasp on things. I do have a couple of points I need clarified because if this goes bad my wife will say "I told you to just have it done!"

Here is some background. This is the first year I have moved away from the pool company for water clarity. I have the TF-100 and love it. My water has never looked better. I have spent a fraction of what I have spent in past years!!! So, THANK YOU TFP!!!!!

The pool company closing has been a "piece of mind" thing for the last three years. In my head, if they close it they own any damage that occurs during the winter. In the end, I'm not sure if this is totally true. They charge $350 and are in and out in 45 minutes and I don't haver to do a thing. They don't drain the pool which I am a fan of. I don't know why honestly maybe its chemicals going down the drain or filling with water in the spring.

This year I am going to purchase a cyclone so the closing cost will be a wash this year. I have some questions as to how to proceed with my pluming setup. I have a sand filter. A heat pump and a hayward super pump. I have two valves in my setup. One of the valves splits the skimmer and main drains and the other splits the returns and four deck jets. I have attached some picks of my setup.

I am not sure where to place the cyclone hose to blow out the lines and clear the heater. That is my first question. Once I get a handle on this here is how I think this should go from all I have read.

1- Start with the returns. Plug the closest one to the filter first and then the furthest. Turn the valve to open the deck jets. Once they are cleared pour some anti freeze down the furthest deck jet. Turn the valve back to close the deck jet line, leaving the returns open but plugged.

2- Open the skimmer line and blow out the skimmer line with the gizmo in place with an open blow hole. Once cleared turn off cyclone, pour anti freeze down blow hole and put plug in gizmo. Turn the valve to open the mains and blow them out until they are clear. Turn of blower and quickly close off main drains by turning the valve to open the already cleared skimmer.

Obviously I will pull all the plugs off the filter and skimmer basket. I will disconnect the union at the heater to drain it???

Please let me know if this sounds correct and where the cyclone hose is best placed to do this.

I want to drink coffee this winter!!!!!!!! I just need to be certain as to what I'm doing or my coffee will become alcohol when my wife says....."I told you to just have it done!!!!"

Attachments

• IMG_3952.jpg
    IMG_3952.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3953.jpg
    IMG_3953.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3955.jpg
    IMG_3955.jpg
    635.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3961.JPG
    IMG_3961.JPG
    492.7 KB · Views: 26
Good job on the Cyclone. :goodjob: Tat will pay for itself. I would first start by reviewing the link below and watching the video we posted a few weeks back. Those two products should help get you going and/or confirm most of your concerns. If you have more questions, certainly let us know.

Thanks for the links and info. I have watched and read through these a bunch. My confidence is low with my DIY stuff. I have never really had anything go terribly wrong with any DIY things. Most come out pretty good. My concern here is that pretty good with inground pool plumbing could lead to expensive repairs. I am just not confident about where to use the cyclone at my equipment pad. I know the pool company opens a union or two at the pad and uses the cyclone to clear the lines. I am just not sure which ones they undo.

Good thing is that will all those unions and valves, you appear to have plenty of options of where to connect the Cyclone. There is no one perfect method, so you have flexibility. But as you get closer, if you have a question about a specific issue, just post back.

So....... I closed the pool Sunday. I did drain it below the returns for piece of mind. Man, that's a lot of water. Used the cyclone to clear the lines. Returns first, then deck jets. Plugged those all up and moved to the suction side. Cleared the skimmer and plugged it with a gizmo. Cleared the main drains and airlocked those. I used antifreeze in the return lines, deck jets and skimmer. 2 gallons, probably over did it. I left all the unions undone at my filter and heater. Is this a good thing to do? My thought is if something were to freeze there is room for it to expand an possibly "escape." Does this sound crazy?

Anyway, I want to take a minute to thank everyone on this site. As of this post, I am free from the pool store going forward. The last piece was the closing. I am anxiously awaiting April when I open and see how it went. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!!

Reactions: Mdragger88
I do have one more question/concern. This was brought to my attention just recently after closing the pool. I have full width steel steps covered by the vinyl liner. When I drained the pool to just below the returns it left the top step completely dry with no water supporting the corners of the liner. Is this OK?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.