CO2 vs MA

Mackhatter

Gold Supporter
Apr 22, 2019
Washington State
Like everyone else, muriatic acid is a pain to deal with and carefully at that. Has anyone explored CO2 injectors instead to balance the pH? I have my water dialed-in so that I'm adding about 3 oz. per day to maintain 7.4. But the thought of saying goodbye to a nasty chemical even having to deal with a big supply tank is intriguing.

Anybody have any experience or reports about it?

Thanks!

There are systems that use CO2 for pH control. But, if you have high TA fill water, you still have to use acid to lower your TA.

Reactions: Bvacchiano
CO2 injection is fine to use. It just tends to cost more than muriatic acid and there’s more parts to fix to the equipment when it decides to breakdown.

You can always opt to use 10 Baume (15%) MA as it has almost no odor to it. Or setup an acid injection system so you only have to fill the acid tank a couple of times per season.

Thanks for the input.

Going the acid pump route, any recommendations as to a good system?
If you want something integrated into your pump system, the Pentair intellipH is nice

Interesting clarification, thanks. The hardware store MA is 14.5% and, while I'm not sticking my nose in the jug and sniffing, I hadn't been "knocked back" by the odor the way I've read some people suggest. That helps explain it.

The downside is that they typically sell it at nearly the same price as 20 Baume so you are literally paying double for it. But if it helps you out, that’s all good...

Reactions: johntafshar
I personally would stay away form a fully automated system like the IntellipH pH Controller. You already know you need 3oz per day, just get a Stenner pump and have it inject 3oz per day.

The fully automated systems try to read the pH and adjust their injections to compensate, but my opinion is that they are not ready for prime time....

Too many folks (one is too many) have shown up here over the years to say they had a sensor failure and the system had injected the entire tank of acid into their pool.

Just for the record -

IntelliPH : simple timer-based dosing system, no probe control, glorified Stenner Pump (with logic to control max dosing and interface to EasyTouch system)

IntelliChem : fully automated pH and FC control with probe feedback. Very finicky system prone to failures and high cost probes.

Hayward has similar product as well as a CO2 dosing/control system. Just as flaky as Pentair.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just for the record -

IntelliPH : simple timer-based dosing system, no probe control, glorified Stenner Pump (with logic to control max dosing and interface to EasyTouch system)

IntelliChem : fully automated pH and FC control with probe feedback. Very finicky system prone to failures and high cost probes.

Hayward has similar product as well as a CO2 dosing/control system. Just as flaky as Pentair.
Thanks Matt - Keep me straight!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.