Clunking noise when heater running

I think that your previous issues are all due to the plumbing problem of both pumps fighting each other for water flow on the suction and the return.

A separate jet pump needs its own suction and return.

Since you do not have the correct plumbing, you need to remove the separate jet pump.

The service heater light coming on is due to the fact that I'm turning on the Jet Pump and by doing so I'm "introducing" the problem.

It seems like the tech sort of understands the problem, but they really don't know what to tell you.

When was the pool installed?

It should be fixed by the builder as a warranty since it is due to a bad original workmanship issue.

The workmanship is a bad installation due to a bad design or a flawed installation.

It is essentially an "Errors and Omissions" issue, which is when a professional makes a professional error.

Is the heater the original heater?
No, nameplate shows it is from 2013 so I'm guessing it was replaced 8 years ago. I purchased the home almost 3.5 years ago.

Can you show pictures of the spa?
Here you go. I included a video of what happens when the Jet Pump turns on. All jets have increased flow when the Jet Pump is running.

But....It has been working perfectly fine for 16 years.

I purchased the home almost 3.5 years ago.
You don't know that "It has been working perfectly fine for 16 years".

All you know is the 3.5 years that you have been there and your previous posts indicate issues with the heater.

How would you know if it was fine before you moved in?

Because the previous owner said so?

They had a motive to say that everything was just fine.

Feb 12, 2020

Maybe the plumbing was originally separate and it was combined for some reason by the previous owner?

It looks like 11 returns.

Are you sure that water comes out of all 11 for each pump?
There's 10 and yes, water comes out every single one of them.
You don't know that "It has been working perfectly fine for 16 years".

All you know is the 3.5 years that you have been there and your previous posts indicate issues with the heater.
You are 100% correct. I made an assumption it worked fine for the past 16 years. You are also correct in that I have had issues and I had completely forgotten about the 2nd one you linked to. That was resolved by setting the filter pump speed to 3450 rpm for "Spa Heat" so maybe that's worth a shot again.

Based on the suction and return fittings, it seems like the plumbing was originally separate, but at least the returns were combined for some reason.

I would try to see if you can separate the filter and jet return lines so that the filter and jet pump are not fighting each other.

The suction might be separate lines.

If yes, then that's good.

If they are combined, then I would see if they can be separated.

Reactions: Ukiwis

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.