Clueless Newbie

OK, going to do the OCLT tonight. few questions

1. should I keep my filter going through the night? (been on for 2 weeks straight) Eek!
2. I just added my last bit of bleach before I do my final reading before bed, in about 30-45 mins. What happens if the FC is a little above my target of 35?

You need to test at the end of this day and after you add your last addition of chlorine to get a proper reading, otherwise you won't know if you lost anything overnight tomorrow morning.

Is it Gin and Tonic sparkly yet?? :)

In terms of your pump, if it were me, I would just leave it on. That's 'cause I am lazy. You need to have it on about a half hour before testing in the morning to circulate the water, so leave the pump on and hit the snooze button!

No worries about the FC level. It is the difference between tonight's reading and the morning reading that matters as you are looking for overnight (no UV interference) loss so the FC level doesn't really matter as long as it is high enough, and yours is.

You need to test at the end of this day and after you add your last addition of chlorine to get a proper reading, otherwise you won't know if you lost anything overnight tomorrow morning.

Is it Gin and Tonic sparkly yet?? :)

It's sparkling finally ��
Added my last bit of bleach and will be doing my test before bed after I hit reply to this message.

In terms of your pump, if it were me, I would just leave it on. That's 'cause I am lazy. You need to have it on about a half hour before testing in the morning to circulate the water, so leave the pump on and hit the snooze button!

No worries about the FC level. It is the difference between tonight's reading and the morning reading that matters as you are looking for overnight (no UV interference) loss so the FC level doesn't really matter.
Good deal, on it will stay! I will report back in am after I run my test. FINGERS CROSSED that we are at the final stage.

Next step? :swim: Now that all 3 SLAM criteria are complete, you simply let the FC drop on its own which it will do over the next day or two and then maintain it at your regular target level. Once FC drops below 10, check your pH and any other items as needed. Enjoy your new water. :)

Sorry to sound silly, but what tests should I be doing daily and what tests weekly?
Thank you for all your help!!
Next step? :swim: Now that all 3 SLAM criteria are complete, you simply let the FC drop on its own which it will do over the next day or two and then maintain it at your regular target level. Once FC drops below 10, check your pH and any other items as needed. Enjoy your new water. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
THIS PAGE gives you a good idea of what and when to check something. For me the big two are always FC and pH. I check those two almost everyday because they are so important - either to avoid algae (FC) or to avoid scale/acidity (pH). The other levels don't usually change too fast unless you have a major water change or something significant happened to your pool. Hope that helps.

I just want to thank you all so much that have contributed helpful info on this thread!! My neighbor is supposed to be getting an AGP next year and I will refer them to the TFP way!

THIS PAGE gives you a good idea of what and when to check something. For me the big two are always FC and pH. I check those two almost everyday because they are so important - either to avoid algae (FC) or to avoid scale/acidity (pH). The other levels don't usually change too fast unless you have a major water change or something significant happened to your pool. Hope that helps.
Thanks again Pat for all your quick replies and guidance :)

I kept my fc at 5-7 ppm. For my pool that was about two to three cups per day. I could swim one day and skip that nights addition of chlorine. But by the following night it would have dropped to 3ppm. That's too close for comfort in my view, so as long as I kept two cups of chlorine everyday mine stayed right around 6ppm. No matter if we swam or not. Mine does have a solar cover and lots of shade.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

If my memory serves me correctly, the K-1000 is simply an OTO-based tester that will give you a total chlorine number. It doesn't separate FC and CC. But it's convenient in a pinch to do a quick test for the presence of chlorine. Of course the FAS-DPD is quite accurate. What many people do is test with the FAS-DPD then do an OTO test in comparison to see the color changes and how they should look at a certain FC level (i.e. yellow, orange, rust-orange, etc). At some point you may get so good with the OTO tester that you can do the FAS-DPD every 2-3 days to help make the powder & drops last longer.
Taylor K-1000 VS K-1001
Differences between FC/CC test and K-1000

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.