pilotx1982

Jun 5, 2023
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Starting new thread, as now im more concerned about balancing the water to remove cloudiness:

Pool was opened 5/17 (was totally green) and only shock was added by company. I left on business trip and got back yesterday, had another CO vacuum yesterday.

Test results yesterday afternoon:

FC: 0
CC: 0
PH: 8.2
TA: 60
CG: 115
CYA: (not sure as could see black dot so pro 20 or less)

Yesterday added: 10 lbs baking Soda
4 lbs Ph Down / Dry Acid
30 oz shock (Dichlor) at in the evening

Test results this morning (11 hours after adding shock):

FC: 3.5
CC: 4.0
PH: 7.6
TA: 60
CG: 100
CYA: (not sure as could see black dow so prob less than 20)

(Added this morning 1lb of liquid chlorine and 3 lbs of Ph Down)

Have the robot going, the water is blue, but it's cloudy, can see the robot in shallow end but when it's at the 9ft deep point but it's definately not clear as it was last year. I just added another 10 lbs of alkalinity up. What should I do so the water is clear and not cloudy?

I have liquid stabilizer, I can add that too if it helps?
We caution against liquid. It clumps on the bottom no matter how well you shake and you pour mostly water, more water, more water, then WAY too much.

It's really only for full jug adds when you you can swish the residuals out 10X to get it all.

(General advice for future readers ^^^)

With 35k gallons however, one jug is 11 ppm and perfect in this instance to hopefully get you to 30, while not overshooting by anything substantial if it does.

Add both gallons. Should raise your CYA by about 22. Newduded….

After adding use slam level for 30 FC. Test CYA again after 24hr.

That is fine. Make sure you rinse everything out of bottle. I updated my last post, read it again.
I am following the SLAM process. Keeping the FC level at 10. I have some guests coming tomorrow, I told them pool might not be usable. Question, I have a offline chlorinator, I don't use it but it's connected. Perhaps I should put in a 3 inch tablet or 2 as that will also help increase the CYA level so it gets closer to 30? for a 35K pool, how much would 1 tablet add to CYA?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am following the SLAM process. Keeping the FC level at 10. I have some guests coming tomorrow, I told them pool might not be usable. Question, I have a offline chlorinator, I don't use it but it's connected. Perhaps I should put in a 3 inch tablet or 2 as that will also help increase the CYA level so it gets closer to 30? for a 35K pool, how much would 1 tablet add to CYA?
Each puck will raise your CYA about 1ppm. But, pucks take a while to dissolve (like a week) with normal settings. You can do it, but not much impact, unless you turn the chlorinator all the way open to dissolve the quickly.

IF you can see the bottom of the deep end, it is safe to swim up to SLAM level FC.

This morning Free Chlorine is holding:

FC: 10.5
CC: 10.5
PH: 7.8
ALK: 90
CYA: 20 to 30 ish

I have people coming over in about 3 to 4 hours. I assume the sun will get rid of some the CL so it’s same to swim….

Last edited:
How are you testing? That TA level is not readable using a proper test kit.

If your CYA is 30, then FC of 3 - 12 ppm is safe to swim in.

How are you testing? That TA level is not readable using a proper test kit.

If your CYA is 30, then FC of 3 - 12 ppm is safe to swim in.
Typo, after the 8th drop it started to chance color slightly but once I put the 9th it changed to pink 100%.

It’s hard to tell the CYA cause it was so low yesterday and I added 2 gallons of stabilizer yesterday afternoon. At 30 level I can barely see the black dot…

IMG_1896.jpeg

I am using TF-Pro with smart stir.

Last edited: