Cloudy Water

Could be algae, could be fiber, could be pollen. Algae you will get with SLAM. Fiber you will figure out when you clean and check filter. Where you are located, could be pollen, but my pollen in Ohio has largely been over.

Should I continue SLAM? Until all 3 conditions are met
Yes. Be sure to pass the OCLT. That's some odd stuff you are finding. Makes me wonder if someone added something to the filter in the past. :scratch: It may be time to open that filter and do the deep clean of the sand as noted in that link.

Yes. Be sure to pass the OCLT. That's some odd stuff you are finding. Makes me wonder if someone added something to the filter in the past. :scratch: It may be time to open that filter and do the deep clean of the sand as noted in that link.
I added cellulose fiber as filter media. This stuff feels like wet paper and almost peels off skimmer sock. I am drying it to see it will actually convert to paper. 😊. Deep clean filter but it has to wait until tomorrow. I will try OCLT tonight and deeper clean filter tomm morning

I have been dealing with cloudy water in my pool for last 2 weeks. Did a slam last week and passed all three criteria. I was happy.
Cloudy water came back again and I started the slam alongwith some clarifier use. Last week I added cellulose fiber for polishing look.

My skimmer sock looked like had some sort of gunk and I am trying to understand what it is. Picture attached below.

Could this be degraded cellulose fiber?86027BB0-A3E8-40D3-B050-19F14BDB1A83.jpeg66C829E3-D646-48B5-B492-31537A6C961F.jpeg66C829E3-D646-48B5-B492-31537A6C961F.jpegF89CC923-3308-44EC-BBD0-E1ABF0497008.jpegD3AF8F32-EF5B-4B28-B389-53D9FDCFFE89.jpeg0558B33C-4019-4B85-AC88-2186027C11C2.jpeg

Attachments

• FEEFE6B3-77E3-4658-8189-2B54D429E1BF.jpeg
    FEEFE6B3-77E3-4658-8189-2B54D429E1BF.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 060C451D-6DDE-489A-819C-B236EA380D0A.jpeg
    060C451D-6DDE-489A-819C-B236EA380D0A.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 7
Z,

I have no clue, but it looks plant like.

My pull it out of my rear guess it that it is some plant material that is light enough to be blown by the wind and then got consolidated in your skimmer.

That said, I've be wrong about a hundred times today alone.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

what does dead algae look like. Whatever it is, it was causing cloudy water. Pollen is not lot of concern as during the time cloudy water occurred pool had automatic pool cover on.

Here is the update.
SLAM is complete and met its criteria like last week.
Water: Crystal Clear
OCLT: Pass (no loss of Cl overnight)
CC: <0.5ppm

Sand Filter:
I opened it up and deep cleaned it. There was really not much gunk as I expected.
The pool has been barely used for a month.

I added 2 cups of DE now to help. with clarification.

Below are posted some pics of filter, cellulose fiber material and gunk collected in skimmer this morning30CBCBE3-8CF5-4127-93DE-87C3F69FF94F.jpeg74F2A0A9-C2D3-4D56-816B-52D12DD29CE1.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I might have found issue. Before getting on this blog I was going to Leslies. They gave me all the Crud they can. Told me to add cellulose fiber and perfect weekly.
I found about cellulose fiber incompatibility : Chemical Compatibility: Leslie's Cellulose Fiber is incompatible with Pool Perfect plus Phosfree.
That is what probably caused all this. My take is they have enzymes in them which degrade cellulose fiber.

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone,

Pool is still looking good. However I will still like to get to bottom of what happened. Any comments?

Cloudy water is back again. I was thinking there was some slight cloudiness for last few days and my wife kept telling me you are seeing things. Today it is cloudy with FC dropping from 6 to 3.
I slammed pool again but need advice from this group what to do. I bet by tomorrow morning water will be crystal clear and I will pass OCLT within next 2 days.

I cannot keep slamming every week or so. This is getting TOO MUCH. Help please.

Here I come back again. I am noticing slight cloudiness again in water. I tested it:
FC 9
CC 0
PH 7.6

I am not sure what is going on here. I have added some clarifier to see it help remove some finer particles. After last slam i did not add anything to pool filter.
I wont be surprised tomorrow FC drops to 6 and water is cloudy again

I dont know how many slams i have to do. Already done 3 but the effect only last for 1-2 weeks.

Please Please help here

The reason I'm asking is cause what the stuff you have in your skimmer looks like birch/cedar pollen, at least in my eyes and location of the trees being front/back doesn't matter since the pollen is fine enough to bypass the smallest gaps. It travels quite the distance in the slightest breeze. When it gets wet, it expands and when it dries looks like a paper mache. I'm thinking this is what is the root cause of your issue.... maybe.

Thanks so much. Hope it is. I will try clarifier treatment. That will help to isolate issue. I know this forum does not recommend but not sure if there are other options

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.