Cloudy water 😡

Coin Slot

Aug 13, 2021
UK
Hi from the UK, fairly new to all this and struggling this year, sage advice required please.

In a nutshell - started about 6 weeks ago with an Intex 4ftx15ft vinyl, the included cartridge filter/pump and a chemical starter pack.

Initially all was well, I used the recommended chemical amounts at the start, used test strips, checked chemicals daily and everything appeared to be steady. The filter was taken out and washed every other day and was always remarkably clean so I assumed I was doing a good job…

Then the weather turned and I covered the pool for about two weeks, I left the filter running for 6-10 hours a day and maintained my chemical test and filter regime.

Finally with some good weather forecast I took the cover off and noticed that the bottom of the pool was very dark, I also realised I hadn’t put any algaecide in for about 4 weeks and suspected that was the reason for dark pool bottom. I had some algaecide, mixed up the correct dosage and added it to the water. I decided, maybe wrongly, to give the floor a good brush which created a dust cloud of doom. The bottom was no longer visible, but I had faith in the cartridge filter and fresh algaecide to do their jobs. Sadly the cloud of doom wasn’t showing any signs of dispersing, even with me changing/cleaning filters 4 times a day (and tipping the dregs left behind in the filter each time).

After about a week of checking chemical levels, changing filters I bit the bullet and got myself a proper pump/filter which is an Emaux 350, circulates around 72ltr per minute (60x72 = 4320ltr per hour). This was a game changer, it cleared the pool so I could see the bottom in under 24 hours, the flow rates seem to work well with my cheap Intex water heater too so I was very happy.

But…

You could still see the floor was dusty, but if you gave the bottom a little brush the cloud of doom would return and another 24 hours was required for it to settle down again, but then so had all dust settled again too and a vicious circle would ensue.

I’ve tried to vacuum both with my Intex cordless vacuum (Crud, it doesn’t filter out the fine dust and blows it everywhere, but works great on sand, bugs at the bottomand using my filter/pump vacuum works to a point, but it still kicks up a dusty mess because it can’t vacuum up everywhere the brush is being pushed along to.

There’s definitely a lot less dust/debris at the bottom, but the continual brush, cloud, filter cycle is annoying to say the least.

I’ve taken some readings this afternoon -

Cyanuric = 48mg/l
Total Ch = 2.09mg/l
Free Ch = 1.76mg/l
Combined FC - TC = .33mg/l (my own calculation which may be wrong?)
Pool pH = 8.13

I’ve added some pH minus this morning as that has crept up since yesterday (7.57)

I’ve attached some pictures which may give a clue to somebody, you could see the bottom this morning, but I wouldn’t say it was clear, just a lot clearer than it was with the cartridge filter. I’ve subsequently hoovered about 3 hours ago and this is the current state of play

Thanks in advance for any assistance :)

Welcome to TFP.
You did not mention how you are chlorinating your pool. Do you use trichlor pucks or liquid chlorine as I assume you do not have a saltwater pool?
While the upgraded filter is great but to truly kill the algae you need to increase your FC levels. Then the filter can capture the dead algae through normal circulation.
Also, as you indicate, your pH is on the high side and that needs come to 7.6.
Have you had the opportunity to read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Also please read SLAM Process which is a process to rid your pool of algae.

Reactions: Coin Slot
Welcome to TFP.
You did not mention how you are chlorinating your pool. Do you use trichlor pucks or liquid chlorine as I assume you do not have a saltwater pool?
While the upgraded filter is great but to truly kill the algae you need to increase your FC levels. Then the filter can capture the dead algae through normal circulation.
Also, as you indicate, your pH is on the high side and that needs come to 7.6.
Have you had the opportunity to read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Also please read SLAM Process which is a process to rid your pool of algae.

The chlorine I use is in granule form, I’m embarrassed to say that for the first two weeks I added the granules directly to the pool and didn’t dissolve them in a bucket first. The chlorine I use is sodium dichloroisocyanurate dihydrate, 49g per ppm on my pool size.

I’m going to have a really good read of the processes today to get a better understanding, to increase FC I need to shock so I’ll pay particular attention to this.

The filter has cleared the pool really well in the last 24 hours, it’s the clearest it’s been for about 2 weeks, but there’s still a layer of chalky dust at the bottom.

This shows a small patch that I brushed this morning, there’s still dust on the very bottom -

Thank you both for the help.

Well that didn’t last long, the kids had a swim and now it looks like a pool full of watered down milk.

Time to read these articles. :geek:
Suggest you find some liquid chlorine if they have that in the UK. It can also be called liquid shock. The main ingredient is sodium hypochlorite. It is normally a percentage on the ingredient list such as 10% or 6%.
Sodium hypochlorite is what is also in normal household bleach as well but usually in the 6% concentration. I am not sure what is available in UK but you do not want to use a bleach that is scented or has other additives. In the USA, Clorox is the main bleach but it has Cloramax in it which is a bunch of stuff you do not want. So look carefully at the label if you have to consider household bleach.

Thank,you, I’ve ordered 4x 5ltr’s of - CHLORINE 14/15

I had another vacuum this morning and it took about 5 minutes before the clouds appeared so I think I’m slowly removing all of the chalky deposits sat at the bottom. The pool has almost cleared only 6 hours after I vacuumed, previously it would take 24 hours.

I think I’m making some good progress, thanks for the pointers all.

• Love
Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.