Quiltincin

Aug 15, 2020
Bay Area in California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been shocking the pool per the CYA/Chlorine and Slam charts. (Target FC was 5-7 slam FC was 16ppm on the slam chart) Here are my current numbers after two days.
800 Gallon Vinyl above ground pool
FC 4.4
CC .6
PH 7.2
TA 110
CH 130
CYA 34
I think I continue to shock with the Liquid Chlorine (10%) correct?

When using pool math, do I use the 34 CYA number or round up to 40 for CYA?

You use the 40 for CYA as we always round up.....there are no "in betweens" on that test.

Keep the FC level at 16 FC untill passing all three criteria for ending the SLAM process. The more often you can test and re-dose during the day the faster it goes.

Maddie

Thanks, I have only been running te filter about 12 -16hrs during the day during the slam process, do we need to run it 24/7 during slam? We are worried it will burn out, its just a little 330 gph for an above ground vinyl 800 gallon pool.

Ah...well... I see your problem. No, don't run it at night if you're concerned. For 800 gallons you might also just pour the water out and start fresh (after cleaning the pool itself, of course).
Here is our guide for small pools-

Maddie

We would prefer not to have to dump the water and refill. I have been slamming and haven't been able to get the FC up to the FC slam number of 16. We are heading in the correct direction though. The pool water is no longer a cloudy white, it is just not 100% clear yet, definitely no longer cloudy though. I also made a mistake and added water (accidently too much) because I had to keep it above the outflow valve and then added chemicals without rechecking my CYA numbers, the info is below.

800 Gallon Vinyl above ground pool
Northern CA weather is 75-78 and will be until Saturday when it will warm up some

Yesterdays numbers
FC 4.4
CC .6
PH 7.2
TA 110
CH 130
CYA 34

Todays numbers
7am - husband added 12oz liquid chlorine and some soap (submersible motor leaked oil in the pool)
12:00pm - CYA 40 FC 11.8 CC .6 added 4.3oz liquid chlorine Target FC is 16
02:45pm - CYA 30 FC 10.8 CC .4 added 5.30oz liquid Chlorine - per CYA of 40 because I forgot to test at that point and tested it afterwards.
If CYA was 30 I'm assuming I should have changed the target FC to 12 and added 1.2oz..is this correct? Do I use the new CYA during
Slamming?

I'll wait a few hours and retest the numbers and see where we are at. I'm moving forward assuming I use the new CYA number even though it changed during slamming. I assume we worry about the CYA number after slamming is done? Or do I worry that it's getting low now? I'll probably take it to Leslies to get an accurate CYA number since my test only goes to 30 and the water was over the top and I could still kinda see the dot.....???? Is there another way I can test? add water or something and double I think I read something like that somewhere?????

Also one last question - Since I added water, should I redo all the numbers again? I've just been checking the Chlorine during the slamming process....My other numbers have stayed very constant so far throughout the summer since I've gotten the full test kit.

During a SLAM you only need to check the FC value. CYA won't change unless you've added more or drained and refilled.

Leslie's won't give you better numbers, in fact usually quite inaccurate ones. Are they stepping outside to stand with their back in the sun with the vial waist high as we say to do the test?? Nope!

I don't understand how you can't reach SLAM level with using liquid chlorine. If you haven't reached the level, you haven't added enough. You're using TFP's PoolMath to guide you, right?? Try adding the chlorine and testing it 30 min later to see if you've hit the mark.

What kind of "soap" did you add to deal with the spilled oil?

Maddie

We did add water to the pool (we had to), which is why I measured CYA again. New CYA is 30 instead of 40.

I am using the pool math calculator, and I don not understand why we haven't reached slam FC either. I will measure sooner as suggested.

I will ask my husband what kind of soap he added. We still see bubbles across the pool at the output, so it has not cleared the pool yet. Wondering how to get rid of it.

What kind of liquid chlorine are you using? How old is it? and where are you storing it?

If you are adding the appropriate amount per pool math, and not reaching the target FC number ... the chlorine could be weakened, or your testing could be flawed.

What are you using the test FC?

Post a picture of the liquid chlorine bottle, if you can ... especially if it has numbers stamped on it ... something that looks like "20 209 20:57" stamped in black ink across the bottle or on the box the bottle came in.

This number indicates the year, day, and time the chlorine was produced.

I'll check the actual bottle. Purchased at Home depot, storing in patio shade, we usually have a breeze on our patio. I'll bring it inside the house. I also ordered new powder, mine is clumpy and came half filled, I have a hard time dissolving it, so I purchased a new one which will arrive Sat.

I use the Taylor 2006 kit to test the FC outside using the sky and double checking with a white paper to verify its clear. Use 2 level spoons to test, but first I try to crunch up as many clumps as I can and not use any powder that is clumpy, I'm mostly successful doing it that way.

I use the pool math calculator using bleach at 10% (128oz) my current FC and target FC at 16 (per my original CYA). I just added chlorine at 10:30 and tested at 12:20 and the FC was 11.8. I then tested the FC after 30min and the new FC was the same. Something is definitely wrong here. Here are the numbers.

10:30 am FC 8.4 CC 0 added 7.8oz chlorine
12:15 pm FC 11.8 CC .6 added 4.3 oz chlorine
12:50 pm FC 11.8 CC.4 too soon to add.

I have attached pics of the Chlorine info and 2 of the pool. We are definitely headed in the right direction, the pool is no longer cloudy, but if the numbers are wrong I don't think we will be going in the pool until we figure this out. We want to use the pool this weekend since is supposed to warm up. Maybe I will head down to Leslies and purchase some new DPD powder today....
'3E398BF8-0BF9-4B89-86E2-26806123E713_1_105_c.jpeg1111E2F8-D5E9-48A5-BCC6-C042EAB6916B_1_105_c.jpeg1E689939-4149-4A78-BD62-DEC4A0D11F56_1_105_c.jpegF6C7B11B-5A3B-4DD5-8EDE-E9D1CE973235_1_105_c.jpeg4227FCEA-516B-4F12-88F5-8FCA6065FFD0_1_105_c.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's June 24th, 2020 production date .. so you're good there.

The "20 17514:58" numbers break down as follows:
  • 20 = Year (2020)
  • 175 = Julian day for the year 2020 (175th day of the year = June 24th)
  • 14:58 = Time in 24hr clock (2:58pm production time)
I store my unopened bottles in the house, and store my currently opened bottle outside in the shade as well.

It definitely seems like something is off with the testing. Adding 4.3oz of 10% should have raised your FC by 4.2 (according to PoolMath's "Effects of Adding" tool). But you tested 35 mins afterward and got the same FC result.

Are you sure the pool is 800 gallons? What are the dimensions?

Dimensions 9.6ft by 6.5ft by 30in (but in reality it's actually 26"). I think I used the gallons it told me on the website (dumb) I don't remember if I figure it out myself. It's just a little pool to allow me to swim in place with a tether. I have not been swimming, wasn't sure it was safe, because of the slamming, PH is really high, was 7.2 before but now it's off the chart and it's been a bit cold, but I do want to get this figured out soon - it's getting warm now! Thanks for your help!

cubic feet times 7.48 gives you gallons .... So like Marty did, your length x width x height (in feet though, not inches) x 7.48 gives you 1000 gallons.

It's probably 800 as the manufacturer states though, considering the wall is taller than the waterline; assuming the 26in is the wall height, and not the height from the floor to the waterline?

If you ever do drain completely and refill, make a note of your water meter's reading before starting the fill, and then don't use any water in the house until it's done. Then look at the meter when it's finished, and you can get an exact measurement of the volume. Being so small, it shouldn't take long to refill, but I get you probably don't want to do that now since it's close to the end of the season and the water temp would take some time to come back up.

Also considering the pool is geometric, the calculated volume is most likely very close to what the measured volume would be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.