Cloudy Water

Yes, keep the SLAM process going, you may not have been filtering anything. And the backwash may not have actually been a backwash. Who knows what route the water was taking with the valve all messed up.

You really need to get a gauge so we can see if the filter is capturing anything and to know when the pressure rise 20-25% above the clean pressure.

I might suggest you backwash some now and see what the water coming out looks like.
You guys! I came home and my pool water was clear! I don’t think I have ever been so exited to see a clear pool! Now. There were clumps if brown sand stuff on the bottom. I assume this was from backwashing into my pool for the last month. I got in and vacuumed and washed the walls and skimmed it. This made it a little cloudy again-which I figured it would. I then backwashed (the water coming out was disgusting) and rinsed. I tested my FC and it was only at a 18 so I added the recommended chlorine. My next questions are:
*If my water is clear again tomorrow how long do I keep doing the SLAM process?
*What are my next processes after SLAM?
*While I maintain the pool do I just keep using liquid bleach? I have read a lot of forums on here and most people say just to use that and don’t bother with the tablets. I have no preference either way
*How often should I use my test kit? What they card says?

If your water is crystal clear tomorrow and no more stuff on the floor, do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tomorrow night.
Once the criteria for a successful SLAM are met, let the FC come down to the target range for your CYA and maintain it there using liquid chlorine added daily.
Liquid chlorine/ bleach for daily maintenance. If you are going to be away for more than a few days, use tablets in a floating dispenser to add chlorine.
Test FC daily. pH a couple times per week. TA weekly, CH and CYA monthly.

If your water is crystal clear tomorrow and no more stuff on the floor, do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tomorrow night.
Once the criteria for a successful SLAM are met, let the FC come down to the target range for your CYA and maintain it there using liquid chlorine added daily.
Liquid chlorine/ bleach for daily maintenance. If you are going to be away for more than a few days, use tablets in a floating dispenser to add chlorine.
Test FC daily. pH a couple times per week. TA weekly, CH and CYA monthly.
What is an OLCT test?
Also, what are the criteria for a successful SLAM?
Now if it’s not clear or there is still stuff on the bottom do I just keep doing what I did tonight until there is nothing?
When should I test the FC daily? At night?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Awesome that the water cleared up that fast ... amazing what the filter can do when properly put together ... so much for Mr. 30 years experience :hammer:
I got my gauge in the mail! It didn't come with any instructions though.. Any help on how to put it on would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have gotten all of the sand out of the bottom but now there is this brown stuff that keeps appearing every morning. When you vacuum it or step on it, it just turns to a cloud and then the water clears up. Could this be brown algae? If so, what do I need to do go get rid of that? The water is still crystal clear. When you unsettle the brown stuff it becomes cloudy for a few minutes and then clear again.

It's either just dust that blows into the pool or it's dead algae. I get a little bit of it in my pool and bringing it back to SLAM levels for a couple of days seemed to help, so you might want to try that.

I'll let others speak to the gauge. Mine literally just screws in, so you unscrew the old one and screw in the new one. A little teflon tape around the threads to help prevent leaks.

EDIT: Did you do the overnight chlorine loss test? If not, maybe your pool is still battling algae, just where you can't see it and you might need to keep up the SLAM levels longer.

For the gauge, just unscrew the old one, wrap a few wraps of Teflon tape around the new one and screw it in snuggly.

As far as the stuff on the floor, did you complete the slam process? That sounds suspiciously like dead algae

For the gauge, just unscrew the old one, wrap a few wraps of Teflon tape around the new one and screw it in snuggly.

As far as the stuff on the floor, did you complete the slam process? That sounds suspiciously like dead algae
I have not completed the SLAM process because I still saw the brown stuff on the bottom. I did not do the Chlorine loss test because i thought someone said not to do it until the bottom and sides are clear as well.
Over the weekend we had people over and the levels did drop a little below SLAM, but last night I did get it back up. Do you suggest I just keep shuffling/brushing it up and do the SLAM process for a few more days?

Reactions: IceShadow
If the brown stuff doesn't get less over the next few days let us know - maybe it is dust/dirt instead of algae. But it sounds like it from your description.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.