Cloudy water wont uncloudy ..

lol how about a whole case?

new test readings:

FC 18.5
CC-1

added 1 gallon of bleach....

im done for the night...Ive got a huge headache and Im majorly p'od at the pool. lol so to prevent myself from shooting it im taking a night off. It hasn't been dropping too much at night so ill deal with it in the morning.

guardwife2 said:
The pictures you posted are very hopeful but yours was just a little cloudy where as mine is discolored, cloudy and unchanged for months.

Yes, but you've only been doing it the TFP way for a few days. My point is that even tho my water wasn't as bad as yours it still took 4 days to clear it. So yours will take longer, probably much longer bc it's discolored, cloudy and unchanged for monthes. Think about that - it's been discolored and cloudy for months - that's months of algae growing.

Hang in there girl! The bleach is working! We're all pulling for ya!

RE: Bleach bucket color

Unless she has a way to ensure the light is identical in both pictures (from the same angle, etc) then the color variations we see could just be from the digital camera trying to white balance the picture. The truth is she saw some additional white (not green) after the bleach which is consistent with dead algae - right?

I'd trust her eyes more than the pics on the subtle variations in color in that bucket.

good morning ladies and gents:

I have news and some may disagree with what I did BUT it worked. here me out first ok?

at 8:30ish pm last night I added one gallon of bleach and my FC reading was 18.5 and my CC was 1....along with the gallon of bleach I added 9 oz of floc. I let the pool run till 10 and I turned it off for the night. At 8am this morning my FC was 17 (down 1.5) and my CC was 1 (the same as last night) and everything had settled to the bottom. I spent about an hour this morning slowly vacuuming to waste and I now have BLUE WATER. It is a little stirred up from vacuuming but a HUGE DIFFERENCE. I do not believe my problem is/was algae I believe it was metals. I will post pics of this morning prior to vacuuming and after vacuuming. It is a little cloudy from me vacuuming but atleast it is blue and I can see the bottom. I will continue working on clearing it up but I believe this is a HUGE victory for me. I feel like wonder woman this morning and already have my cape, aka swim suit, on and ready to go.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
guardwife2 said:
I do not believe my problem is/was algae I believe it was metals.
Metals do not consume chlorine, and your pool is consuming chlorine at a rate that is higher than an organic (algae) free pool should consume. I do not disagree that you may have a metals problem, but you also have a organics problem and if you stop the shocking process, you likely will not finish off your organics (algae). Most likely what you "flocked" to the floor was partially a lot of dead algae that had not been filtered out yet. That green that was on your steps, does not look like metals to me, but more like settled dead algae.

Did you do an evening FC test at least an hour after you last chlorine addition. How long was you pump running in the morning before taking you morning FC test?

I think your process of vacuuming also moved your water around (and through your filter) better. Vacuuming and brushing are important parts of the shocking process. Have you not been doing this previously?

The pool is looking better, don't stop the shocking process now!

Quite honestly, this screams to me that something is not right with the filter. It is no doubt that the green is algae, and the filter should have caught some of that if it's so easily vacuumed to waste.

I know you went through the filter, but this combined with the weird fluctuating and sometimes rising FC levels just increased suspicions I had yesterday that the circulation and filtering could be gorked.

It looks much better btw. Do keep maintaining shock level.

Keep at it. Good things will come your way. Mine looked like yours for 2 weeks and I kept at it with some beer (I brew my own so had plenty on hand) and Tylenol. Literally two weeks it took me. I did everything by the book too. Once algae gets in the system, it takes a bit to get rid of it. I found out the hard way. And this is my first year with a pool. It is a real small one but still the same issues.

Best of luck with your pool! :goodjob:

The fact that the water was so green because of algae on the bottom meant that when you flocculated the pool all the algae didn't get vacuumed up. Also, the shock level of chlorine may have had more algae die and fall to the bottom. At any rate, that helped the pool go more from green to cloudy blue-green.

At this point you really need to filter what is in the pool and it seems that your sand filter isn't doing well for that on its own -- if it were, you'd see the pressure go up regularly and backwashing would show a lot of very dirty water. Did you ever try to Add DE to a Sand Filter to improve filtration? If you do this, you'll want to brush the pool to stir up its contents and get them to the filter (unless there's a lot of junk still on the bottom in which case you want to vacuum to waste first). Note that the pressure may rise very quickly at first and that after you backwash you'll need to add more DE since the DE gets backwashed as well.

quick up date on pool:

I was able to get the pool crystal clear and we got to swim in it...however Life got busy, I got busy and the pool got green again. UGH!! but we are trying to get it cleared up so we are doing the shocking method again. Pump/filter is working fine.....we checked it. Nothing is channeled, broke, etc. It is supposed to get cooler here so I think pool season is winding down some. Kids go back to school in about a week too so my only hope right now is to get it clear to close the pool. I appreciate the msg, kind words, advice, etc.....Pray I get it clear again and dont lose my patience:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.