Cloudy water question

guamguy

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 26, 2010
Guam, USA
This may be a silly question, but sometimes after my pool has had a very high bather load (lots of kids and adults for 6+ hours), the water will become kind of cloudy. When testing the water, I'll get at most .5 CC, which will be gone by the next day. Usually, I'll raise FC to about 7-8 before a big swim party, and then about 10+ after it's over. The cloudiness isn't too bad, I can still see the main drain cover, but it will take about 3 days to get back to crystal clear running the pump overnight after the party, then about 6 hours a day thereafter. I've added some DE to the sand filter, and it makes the thing clog up quick and I'll need to backwash in a day or so. We had a bunch of kids in the pool last night, and here's the numbers from this morning (still cloudy):

FC 6
CC 0
Ph 7.5
TA 80
CH 280
CYA 50
Last night I added bleach to get FC to 6, it was 4 after everyone was out of the pool. Does this cloudiness happen to anyone else? Is there a better way to stop this from happening, or do I just deal with it? It sometimes is embarrassing, because I always get compliments on how sparkly my water is.

Thanks for the reply. I usually run the pump for 4-5 hours a day, plus whenever people are using the pool. My pump turns the pool over in about 3.5 hours. Didn't think about the skimmer socks, I'll give them a try. I usually have the valves set to circulate mostly through the main drain when nobody is in the pool, but switch over to mostly skimmers when the pool is in use.

I think you could use a couple more hours of run time. Your water probably looks ok but a couple more hours would make a difference in how much your filter leaves in the water. I'd give it a try and see if it makes a difference the next party.

guamguy said:
This may be a silly question, but sometimes after my pool has had a very high bather load (lots of kids and adults for 6+ hours), the water will become kind of cloudy.
Normal.

Make them all take a shower and scrub down good before they get in. Hahahahaha, like that will ever happen. They're probably in and out of the pool the whole time, eating and drinking and dribbling stuff on themselves - but it's okay, it will wash off in the pool. Not to mention tracking any dust that may be on the deck into the pool..

Usually after the pool parties, I leave the pump running overnight, and it does seem to help getting it cleared up, along with the extra chlorine I add. I'll try some skimmer socks next time and see if that helps. Hopefully, my new 2-speed pump motor shows up soon, then I will be adjusting my pump run times, along with increasing the efficiency of the filter and plumbing, so that may help, too.

OK, here's the test for the skimmer socks. My oldest son invited the kids in our cul-de-sac over to swim (with my permission). After about 3 hours, the water is a bit cloudy :( About an hour after the kids got out, I tested. Everything is in line:
FC=5
PH=7.5
CC=0
TA=80
CH=280
CYA=50
We'll see tomorrow what the water looks like... Pump will be running overnight with some DE in the sand filter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.