Utah
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I had a fiberglass pool installed with a SWG and a cartridge filter. The pool company left it sitting for weeks with water in it before they hooked all of the equipment up. It looked like the scariest of swamps with crazy stuff growing on the surface. They got my water blue but never clear. It’s currently so cloudy that I can only see a few feet down but it is blue. The levels all tested in range on my Taylor kit and at the pool store. I tried a clarifier that didn’t really do much. I’ve been vacuuming, running the filter constantly, and scrubbing walls but nothing seems to help. I’m not sure what else to do.

I just went to the pool store to get tested today. Here are the numbers:
Adjusted Alkalinity: 104.1
PH: 7
Free Chlorine: 13.2
Salt: 3825
Calcium hardness: 192
Phosphate 2600 (they tried to sell me phosphate remover but I had been reading that this isn’t necessary)
I tested chlorine using a Taylor K-2005 kit and it showed free chlorine 10-20 ppm and total chlorine 10-20ppm.
The pool store told me I need phosphate remover and Caribbean blue micro floc shock. I didn’t buy either though.

Thank you for the resources also!!

Sorry, I was reading the test wrong for chlorine. From my Taylor kit I got 10 free chlorine and 10 total chlorine

This is from my Taylor kit today:
Alkalinity: 160 ppm
Ph: 7.4
Calcium: 230ppm
Free chlorine: 10ppm
Total chlorine: 10 ppm
CYA 80 ppm
I don’t have the chemicals for the salt test but I have some aqua check salt strips that says 4580ppm

Ok just finished the overnight chlorine test and got 15ppm free chlorine and 2ppm combined chlorine. This number stayed the same overnight. I did unplug the swg too and added no chemicals. I also did notice yesterday afternoon that it seems to be clearer than it was before and I can now see the bottom step which I previously never could.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah it was like one drop more in the morning so it looked like slightly more free chlorine in the morning but I wonder if it was just a slight error on my part. I can do it again if you think it would help.

I used the Taylor kit. I did the 1 drop is .5ppm in a 10ml sample. I first did the powder with the r0871 to test free chlorine. Then I added 5 drops r-0003 and used r-0871 again to find combined chlorine. I didn’t dump the water in between. The instructions made it sound like I do combined chlorine test on the same sample

My pump is constantly running because my pool builder didn’t put the communication cable in between the control panel and pump despite me asking for 3 weeks now. I can’t leave it uncovered because our fence is down and I don’t want someone drowning.

I used the Taylor kit. I did the 1 drop is .5ppm in a 10ml sample. I first did the powder with the r0871 to test free chlorine. Then I added 5 drops r-0003 and used r-0871 again to find combined chlorine. I didn’t dump the water in between. The instructions made it sound like I do combined chlorine test on the same sample
This is correct.

So today I was able to see the bottom of the deep end so the pool is looking clearer but my ph was 7.6, free cl 18ppm and combined cl was 1.5ppm. Do you think with my pump running 24/7 that the salt water generator is just over chlorinating?

Thank you! I’ll start that. Since my chlorine is over 10, the video said that testing ph isn’t accurate at that time. Do I need to wait for free chlorine to drop, then test/adjust ph before I do slam?