Cloudy Water in a PVC Above Ground Pool

damibal

Apr 1, 2021
Toronto
Hi,

I had just recently put an above-ground pool. The first couple of weeks, the water looked perfect.
About 9 days ago I took some water to test at a local pool store, and they told me I need to bring down the PH, they sold me Easy Down.

My pool is about 9,150 Liters and made of PVC from Bestway. The filter is the cartridge type, and it is the pump is original, an A/B type (very small).
I am using Shock 'n Shine, the package says to put it once a week, the store told me to put it every other day. So I have been doing it every other day only if being used a lot. if not, every 4 days or so.

I noticed the water started to turn cloudy after I have had family and friends coming over. I did shock it, but I don't see much of a difference.

Today I bought a testing kit and used it for the first time: Free Chlorine, Chlorine, and Bromine seemed very high, the test results were dark colors. PH seems ok.

Any idea what can be causing the water to be cloudy?

Appreciate the help to a newbie.

Thanks

DM

Your size pool we suggest following Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools - Trouble Free Pool
You use stabilizer, liquid chlorine, and if necessary some acid. No pool store potions.

If you water is cloudy, you are best to drain, clean, and start over. Cloudy water is nearly always algae. Are the pool surfaces slimy?

Your size pool we suggest following Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools - Trouble Free Pool
You use stabilizer, liquid chlorine, and if necessary some acid. No pool store potions.

If you water is cloudy, you are best to drain, clean, and start over. Cloudy water is nearly always algae. Are the pool surfaces slimy?
Thanks a lot for your quick answer. No, pool is not slimy at all. It just looks cloudy.
Do you think I should put Chlorine neutralizer or something like that?

Thanks,

Daniel

With a cloudy pool you most likely need more chlorine. I suspect you do not have any idea what level your CYA is and the chlorine is ineffective.

With a cloudy pool you most likely need more chlorine. I suspect you do not have any idea what level your CYA is and the chlorine is ineffective.
Thanks, Marty,

But adding more chlorine wouldn't make my chlorine levels higher? by the results of the test seems already too high. Or does this not matter?

The last time I did take the water to a local pool store for testing, CYA came at 26 ppm. That was 10 days ago; not sure today?

I talked to my daughter, and she told me she feels the pool is a bit slimy at the bottom. Sorry, I didn't know that.
Any other idea before I dump the water out?

Daniel

To properly test all aspects of your pool water chemistry, you need a pretty expensive test kit, and the cost is higher because you live in Canada. I would not trust a test result from the pool store. The potions you have been adding, do they contain CYA?

From TFP perspective, you should dump and clean the pool with a bleach solution. Then refill and follow the Seasonal Pools protocol.

Thanks a lot for all your help. Is that a good product? or should I return it?
It is OK for when you first want to add chlorine and CYA to your fresh water. But once you get to 30 ppm CYA based on how much you have used, you must stop using it. And only use liquid chlorine.

1 pound of Dichlor to your pool volume will add 30 ppm CYA.

It is OK for when you first want to add chlorine and CYA to your fresh water. But once you get to 30 ppm CYA based on how much you have used, you must stop using it. And only use liquid chlorine.

1 pound of Dichlor to your pool volume will add 30 ppm CYA.
Sorry for insisting, I am still learning through all this process. Can I ask, if algae are present, maybe because the pump is no strong enough to move the water to pass it through the filter properly. Could it be? So, if that is the case is it worth trying adding Liquid Algicide?

How about using Concentrated Water Clarifier, I think it is supposed to cling to particles in the pool and helps to deposit them into the filter.

Is it worth trying any of this before emptying it?

Thank you so so much!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Algae is not a filtering problem, it is a chemistry problem.

Also, clarifier is glue. It does nothing to assist with algae. Chemistry does.

Sorry for insisting, I am still learning through all this process. Can I ask, if algae are present, maybe because the pump is no strong enough to move the water to pass it through the filter properly. Could it be? So, if that is the case is it worth trying adding Liquid Algicide?

How about using Concentrated Water Clarifier, I think it is supposed to cling to particles in the pool and helps to deposit them into the filter.

Is it worth trying any of this before emptying it?

Thank you so so much!

I forgot, I did another test today and it looks very much better than the other day. Maybe I the earlier test was too soon right after adding the chemicals? Please see the picture.

Attachments

• poolLevel1.png
    poolLevel1.png
    241 KB · Views: 8
If the water is clear, great. I would suggest you find a two way drop test that measures to 5 ppm TC if possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.