Cloudy water during SLAM

npalmeter

Jul 25, 2021
Oklahoma City, OK
Opened pool to algae on April 25, been slamming for about 12 days … a couple of days ago my FC was 16, PH was 7.6, and CYA was 40. Switched to a sand filter 5 days ago. It has helped but it is still "gray" From the multiple other posts it seems like it is dead algae and it just is what it is at this point. Would appreciate any suggestions.6867AFDB-6760-469F-9EA0-160FD033E9B5.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a new sand filter (more powerful than my paper/cartridge filter) thinking it would help but it is still cloudy
Piecing together all your posts, it seems like you're doing the right thing. You just need time now. You might try adding some pool DE to your filter since it seems like you've been at this a while.

Reactions: npalmeter
Piecing together all your posts, it seems like you're doing the right thing. You just need time now. You might try adding some pool DE to your filter since it seems like you've been at this a while.

Yea, I was trying not to create yet another cloudy water post but ::shrugs:: I saw the DE suggestion as well and thought I might try that as well ... and yes, we have decided that we will keep at it until it gets warm enough here to actually get into it (in OKC) and if it's not done by then we will just start a partial drain and refill. Next year I will not let it close with algae! Thanks!

So, a week later and I am still fighting the cloudy water even though all of my chemicals are fine ... I finally broke down and added some Clorox Crazy Clarifier ... it definitely has taken the gray tint out of the water to some degree ... I also just bought some DE ... I'm going to let the clarifier filter for about 24 hours and then add some de as well

If you insist on using clarifier, get a quality product, SeaKlear Chitosan. The Clorox and Leslies stuff is junk.

If you insist on using clarifier, get a quality product, SeaKlear Chitosan. The Clorox and Leslies stuff is junk.
So I think I found out this morning that what I thought was dead algae was just red dirt dust (we live in Oklahoma City)... after putting the clarifier in I went out this morning and it had all settled to the bottom of the pool. I was able to vacuum out most of it. My total alkalinity is at 240 with ph at 7.6 so I am going to try to get my alkalinity down ... I tried draining to winter level and replacing the water, but my alkalinity is still through the roof ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.