Cloudy Water, Day 7 of Slam

drano0127

Jul 26, 2020
Chicago
Been a lurker for a while now, but confused on getting chemistry right this spring. I switched from the cheepo pump and cartridge filter to a real pump and 250# sand filter this year. 18’ round intex.
I’ve been sustaining slam levels for 7 full days now. On day 2 the water turned blue from green. I’ve been vacuuming and brushing since day 2 as well. I’m no longer getting much of the bottom.

FC is 16 and I’ve kept it there
CC fluctuates from 0.5 to 0.0
CYA is 30, was at 40 before backwashing on day 5

Any ideas? I’m considering DE in the skimmer but somewhat confused as to why the cloudiness hasnt cleared up.

Attachments

• A6D4AE0B-F12E-4C7E-8176-38B24CE18B2A.jpeg
    A6D4AE0B-F12E-4C7E-8176-38B24CE18B2A.jpeg
    389.1 KB · Views: 18
Welcome to TFP :)

A sand filter is very easy but they take the longest to clear a pool from a green monster to clear.. Putting a cup of DE in the skimmer will help very much.. Remember you have to watch the filter because your pressure will go up fast because you will be trapping all that dead algae... Once the pressure raises 25% backwash the filter and put another cup of DE in the skimmer...

Repeat until clear.. :)

Reactions: onBalance
The tail end of a SLAM Process is always the hardest. Hang in there and stay patient. Remember to clean every bit of surface area and maintain the FC as steady as you can. If you have a ladder, it should be removed and cleaned thoroughly. Often times pulling some of it apart is best to get into all the poles and steps. Looks like the backwashes are lowering your CYA. That's fine for now (CYA of 30), but don't let the CYA fall any lower. As the CYA goes up or down, remember to keep the FC balanced to the correct number as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Progress is good. :goodjob:

full

I did an ABG last year for a first timer and they we excited when they said the bottom was visible. It actually was far from that but compared to where it was before I got there this was considered clear. Took another week and the rest was history.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.